MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 12-10-2013, 01:21 PM
Steel Addict

suremak grinder

Has anyone used one of these grinders? Seems like it would do the trick. The reason I am looking at this is the price range is more inline with what my wife will let me spend.

http://suremak.com/grinder.html
Old 12-10-2013, 03:14 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

I've never heard of them before but since you say money is an issue I do have a comment (naturally!).

The base price on that unit is $600 Canadian. That is a two wheel design which is a design that has certain limitations and it comes with a plain 8" wheel.

The Grizzly grinder is a two wheel design that comes with a plain 8" wheel. No question about it, the Suremak is a much nicer construction than the Grizzly. But...

The Grizzly comes with a motor and, incidentally, a buffer arm too. The Grizzly is an ugly, powerful, and basically bullet proof grinder that is complete and ready to run right out of the box and it sells for the same price delivered that the Suremak starts with. If money is really a tight issue with the little woman (and when is it not?) then the Griz might be a better choice. The Suremak could be expanded with a motor and pulleys to get variable speed and that's very good....but then you're putting in enough money that you probably should be looking at a low end KMG which is a three wheel design and far, FAR more grinder than any two wheel design so, yes, it costs more but it delivers MUCH more performance per dollar. Just trying to offer some perspective ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 12-10-2013, 07:33 PM

aha. Great grinder. I have the three wheel one. A big step up from the grizzly grinder. I quite enjoy using this grinder. Its my primary one. A little bit of a pain to use the bottom wheel but as a genereal statement I use the glass platen on the front. All in all nice grinder
Old 12-10-2013, 11:41 PM
Steel Addict

I haven't used that grinder, but make sure you figure in shipping as shipping from Canada can get expensive. Looks like a solid machine and it comes with everything you should need (except a motor).Teddy
Old 12-11-2013, 07:31 AM
Steel Addict

Thanks for all the input.
Ray I see where you are coming from.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:15 AM
Master

Mike I live an hour from Kamloops and found it difficult to get any answers to a few questions I had about the Suremak other than , ''grinders we are making are going to Europe''............so assuming they were not interested in the local business I moved on in my search, and glad I did !! I looked at other 2 wheelers and the KMG 3 wheel. The fella from Coote was very helpful. The Grizzly just didnt do it for me (just personal preference) and the in the end I settled on Robs KMG. Rob and his staff were great , the product is excellent...........yes a few more dollars in the end but well worth it in my opinion. I have since added a used Coote that I came across and found it works fantastic as a secondary grinder being that the KMG is so versatile with attachments.........hope this helps , good luck in your quest

Rob

Tags
coote, design, grinder, make, making, motor