MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:15 AM
Guru

Static Electricity

I am curious if others have this problem. In the winter when the humidity gets low I have get a lot of static electricity off my belts when grinding since I've gone to a pyroceram (insulating) platen. I don't notice this most of the time in the summer humidity but is quite present now. I even soldered a ground wire on the side of my platen (without much help).

Anyone else notice this?

Gary
Old 01-18-2008, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
OH YES!! I have ground wires running from the frame of each grinder, going to the electical feed conduit that runs underground outside. If the humidity in the shop gets below 40%, the static starts. When it gets really bad, I even have one of those computer builder anti-static wrist straps that I wear while grinding, with the other end attached to a copper loop I attached to the grinder frame(s). Synthetics are the worst! Grinding G-10 or Micarta are just asking to get zapped!

I keep a small humidifier in the shop during the winter, and when things are like they are today (cold and snowing) I turn it on. It gets so dry in here that if I let it run all day, it will go through two fillings of water. Sounds like a lot of trouble, but its a far sight better than those big blue sparks!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 01-18-2008, 01:03 PM
Hall of Famer

The cause is the ceramic platen. I spray anti-static laundry spray on the inside of the belt while it's moving. Once is enough for the life of the belt.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:27 PM
Skilled

I'm wondering,, also is your sander mounted on a wooden bench,,my KMG is mounted on a thick steel bench and i have never been snapped by stadic ,,buffer is a different story,,ouch
Old 01-18-2008, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Don, Thats a great idea! I would have never thought to try that......next time I'm at Wallyworld guess what I'll be buying. Thanks

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 01-18-2008, 06:21 PM
Hall of Famer

You're welcome, Ed. I have to spray my Square Wheel grinder belts because the machine runs so fast. My Burr King runs slower and doesn't spark even though it also has a ceramic platen.

Speed matters.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:43 PM
Guru

I hadn't thought about the wooden surface on my grinder bench. Guess I'll be grounding the grinder to a ground somewhere. The idea of the anti-static spray is another good idea. Sure beats watching the blue sparks fly.

Gary
Old 01-18-2008, 11:10 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via AIM to TJ Smith
You can also get a floor mat that will dissapate the static. It's also nice on the feet.
Take Care
TJ

Old 01-19-2008, 07:54 AM
Steel Addict

I have a few thoughts. It sounds like your machines are all nicely grounded...and if so, they will not store and disscharge any electricity.

So, do this simple test. Grind a bit...then touch your grinder frame. "snap!" did you get shocked? If so, then grind some more and touch something else close by that is grounded..perhaps your drill press, a water pipe, anything other than the grinder.

"Snap!" Did you get shocked again? If so, think about this. You got shocked when you touched your grinder...and you got shocked when you touched your drill press..and water pipe...and table saw...Hmmm...the common item here is "YOU".

YOU are the one storing the electrical charge. YOU need to get grounded such that the charge dissipates rather than accumulates.

For many industries, static can be problematic. Micro chips, magnetic data storage, munnitions...and so on.

There are many solutions for the problem and you don't have to live with that constant neurotic twitch, fearing the inevitable blue bolt of lightning when ever you touch something metal.

For me, it is a s simple as wearing industrial safety shoes that have a static dissapative sole. These are my normal steel toe shop shoes...but they also control static build up on me. When I wear them, no shock. But if I wear my Nikes....then holy Cripies!!

So, speaking strickly on what works for me, if I'm getting snapped...then I get grounded and it stops immediately.

Well, now I'm 2 cents poorer.

-Rob

Old 01-19-2008, 08:26 AM
Skilled

I ran across winter static long ago in the printing trade.

Part timers were getting severe static shocks while stacking and counting flyers from a conveyor. The conveyor was properly grounded but the shocks continued.

Full timers had no such problems.

Took a long look at the problem and noticed that the ones that had the worst problems were wearing thick soled running shoes.....no static dissipation through the shoes.

Had one of them switch to leather soled shoes....problem went away.

My safety boots probably have enough metal impregnated in the leather and sole that they dissipate all of the static but my runners seldom see the shop and I get shocks when wearing them. Same answer as Rob.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:37 AM
Guru

The problem for me stems from the insulated platen. The sparks will jump from the blade that I'm grinding to the metal part of the platen. I was in hopes that by soldering a ground rod on the side of the platen that it would conduct the static to the machine but unfortunately not. I will also be going to the laundry products aisle of the store shortly.

Gary
Old 01-19-2008, 11:13 AM
Enthusiast

What a great idea! Thanks for the info.

Old 01-19-2008, 05:55 PM
Skilled

i learned a lot,thanks guys
Old 01-19-2008, 06:51 PM
Master

Th anti static spray works wonderfully. Just a two second spray on the belt as it's running and if you put that belt aside for a bit it will often not need spraying again if put back into use. Frank

Old 01-19-2008, 08:04 PM
Skilled

You may also consider the shoes/boots you are wearing in the winter may be different than in the Summer.

What do you do when you see your ex in pain, limping and bleeding?

Relax. Take a deep breath. Reload and then shoot again.

http://www.andersenforge.com/

Tags
blade, knife