MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Heat Treating and Metallurgy

Heat Treating and Metallurgy Discussion of heat treatment and metallurgy in knife making.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:43 PM

Anti-Scale Coating ATP-641

I just had a chance to use the ATP-641 made by Advanced Technical Products and all I can say is WOW, I like alot. It's about the easiest stuff to use, extremely effective and cost per use make SS foil look like gold foil. Mind you, I'm brand new at this knife making addiction so bare with me.

What is ATP-641: It's basically, a sticky clay/ceramic mud-like consistency product used to coat your steel before the heat treating oven to eliminate scale. It prevents Oxygen from contacting the steel, thereby preventing oxidation. (You experts out there please chime in)

What I did;

To use: I already contoured my knifes (1095), drilled, added file work and semi-polished them around the file work. I simply used hot water and dawn soap to soak them for a couple of minutes, scrubbed them with the soapy water and a clean rag then let them dry. After they were dried I wore latex gloves to handle them (no oil tx from hands) The goal is NO OIL. Then shook and thoroughly mixed the 641. I used a solder brush to apply the coating to the knifes and hung them from a wire using a handle hole. After they dried (couple hours-cause I'm anal-they only needed about 1 hour) I checked for spots I missed and reapplied to the spots. Dried again.

Next, I placed the knives in the oven. When the soak was done I removed the knives and no scaling at all! None, nada, nyet. The residual mud comes right off with a wipe down and another washing.

Done.

I've read that some have issues with the 641 sticking to the steel. I didn't. My guess is cleaning the oil from the knives and using oil free rags, brush, gloves, etc. is critical.

Side note: The company, Advanced Technical Products, are a 10 on my scale. They shipped me a pint to try out with no payment due(invoiced) with just a phone call. Who does that nowadays!!? Great company.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:44 AM
Skilled

I've been using ATP-641 for a few years now. You are correct about the oil. With 01 steel, I do a stress relief at 1225? for an hour soak with no coating and the blades wiped clean with acetone. The stress relief heat and the acetone take care of the oil. The blades are then coated and left to dry over night. I then recoat the edge zone, do any touch ups that need it, and dry with a hair dryer before putting them in the oven. The ATP is great stuff for normal heats, but does not seem to be as good for heats much above 1600?. At the higher temps, it works better than nothing, but will allow a small amount of scale and decarb when I've used it for A-2. Just a nuisance amount, not very significant.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:39 PM

Thanks for the tip on O1. Its on my agenda. Howabout SS?
Old 05-05-2013, 06:11 AM
Skilled

Most SS steels require a higher heat than even A-2, and a long soak. I would not trust the ATP for those, but you could try it with a piece of scrap and see. Contact the company and see what they say or suggest.

Tags
1095, apply, bee, blade, blades, brand, cleaning, coat, edge, file, file work, handle, heat, hot, knife, knife making, knives, made, make, making, products, solder, steel