MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 08-06-2017, 10:09 PM
Skilled

That is solid historical information David, thanks. What knife was Mr. Miller talking about... filling a binder?

The good thing is that I think we may have pictures of all of these Delrin handled knives and they are included in our catalog already ... possibly excepting the m13 which seems to have a thicker guard than the one in our catalog.

What a good group. Thanks for adding...
Old 08-06-2017, 11:40 PM
Skilled

Delrin Carving Set

Here is a set that I don't believe have been added to this catalog yet Jack.

Last edited by Ta2bill; 08-17-2017 at 05:43 PM.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:01 AM
Skilled

They are beautiful.... but check post #7 first page. I didn't add the fork and hone because they aren't knives.. but...

I've been looking at the collage posted by David. The 13-12 hasn't been posted in this line, and the 2-5 probably has not been. I thought the 2-5 might be the same knife as post 47, page 5.. but think the spacer at the hilt is fluted, not red-white. The carver looks pretty close to the set you posted.. and the 12-6 looks identical to one posted earlier, post #67 and other places - with etched logo - ....later bought by Mike.

I'll probably add the 13 and 2 soon with a note where the pictures came from. Wish I had a high-res picture to blow up. Thanks.

Last edited by Jacknola; 08-07-2017 at 12:10 AM.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknola View Post
That is solid historical information David, thanks. What knife was Mr. Miller talking about... filling a binder?

The good thing is that I think we may have pictures of all of these Delrin handled knives and they are included in our catalog already ... possibly excepting the m13 which seems to have a thicker guard than the one in our catalog.

What a good group. Thanks for adding...
That is a single display in a wood case that also was made by RMK for the dealer. It was on the wall of a sporting goods store and buyers could see the actual knives in the catalog fold-out page. The authentication Perry Miller did includes each knife, the display, and the history. He spent time at the shop discussing it, a couple of days with me, and a couple of weeks confirming the history.
It lived for a while at the National Knife Museum and while it was there, the original invoices and correspondence were donated to provide provenance. I have displayed it a couple of times at the BLADE Show, and people like to get their pictures with it.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:58 AM
Skilled

That is impressive stuff. Could you take a hi-res picture of the four Delrin handled knives?...perhaps send them to me or post them in this Delrin line? If so I could add them to the catalog on page 8. If not, I'll see what can be done with the current picture. Thanks for this information... it is good to know.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:39 PM
Skilled

Model 7

Here is a 1960's Model 7-5" Fisherman / Hunter with a Model 6 blade grind. Separate "S" "KIT" blade, Nickel-Silver hilt, seven spacers, Delrin handle with a Ward Gay shape with right hand finger grooves and wrist thong hole. Mint condition correct 7-5" Johnson rough back sheath with yellow ink printed combination grit stone. Another interesting option, although it does not show up in the photos, is the original owner's name etched on the "KIT" blade.

Last edited by Ta2bill; 08-16-2017 at 04:40 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:09 PM
Steel Addict

Location: Northwest Mississippi just south of Memphis and close to God's Country...Ole Miss.
Awesome knife Bill.
Ronnie
Old 08-16-2017, 08:01 PM
Skilled

Bill, that is awesome. I don't know when the knife was made but the blade stamp with the separate "S" is 100 percent type 1, meaning the blade was forged before 1966. The dating of blade stamp change is pretty much proven now. And the seven spacers at the hilt - a la Randall shop? Usually kit blades do not copy shop format. Cool

PS someone did a superb job on those finger grooves. Apparently Delrin is not easy to work in detail, probably because of a low melting point making it difficult to use belts, sanders to finish. Whoever did this was skilled and probably used hand polishing.

One other note. In case anyone thinks it is easy to install a one-piece handle, think again. The escutcheon plate on a bowie I own fell off and I had a look inside the Ebony wood handle. It is a piece of machinery. Wish I had photographed it before epoxying it back in place. What this means is that whoever installed this handle knew what he was doing.

NOTE: catalog on page 8 updated as of this post: 39 total Delrin knives pictured in this line. This is the ultimate Delrin line of all time. ... (drops mike)

Last edited by Jacknola; 08-18-2017 at 09:00 PM.
Old 09-01-2017, 06:28 PM
Skilled

Interesting Model 15

Solingen Stainless Steel and Delrin.

Old 09-01-2017, 11:48 PM
Skilled

Day-um Bill, you surely can drop some bombs. What a unique package made even curiouser by all the questions.

- was this Randall full tang originally handled in Delrin or is it a later re-handle...or even a new creation on an old blade? Is it authentic period? If so this and the ebony handled 14 that Joe showed are the only Vietnam era full tang knives I've seen handled with odd ball material.

- the sheath is awesome.. but it seems to be a Byrd copy of a Johnson split back. Do you know what the original sheath looked like?

- The etching, Randall Made over W Germany is something I've pondered quite a bit. Randall began etching the Solingen trademark with the receipt of orders placed in 1963. But I don't know if the use of "W. Germany" preceded the use of "Solingen" in the trade mark, or was as later variant.

If it was early, this blade could be from a shipment received in 1963. Or it could be the last group of blades from Germany, which may have been made somewhere other than in Solingen Valley. Because the trademark doesn't have the scimitars, I suspect this is an early mark before the pantograph was created for etching the Solingen logo.

Where the heck did you find this?
Old 09-02-2017, 06:49 AM
Skilled

Jack, this is not an original shop item. It is another "KIT" knife that I have acquired, similar to the previous Model 7-5" above.

I have been going thru some pretty nice private collections and getting the opportunity to purchase many knives from long time collectors that have become disenchanted with the ways of the Randall community since the loss of Rhett Stidham. Recurring theme time and time again with many.... Also, some of these men go so far as to say they haven't been interested in any Randall's "post Bo".

I try to wrap my head around all of the knives that we don't see; have no prior knowledge of there existence.. They're out there, waiting to be uncovered after decades of storage!

Happy Hunting!
Old 09-02-2017, 09:29 AM
Skilled

ahh.. that explains everything. I understand the feelings of many in the collecting community. It is a shame but I'm trying put that behind me.

This is a very interesting knife. Do you know when it was handled? Delrin is still available today.
Old 09-02-2017, 12:27 PM
Skilled

All I can tell you is that it came home yesterday and sold this morning! lol

I'm working on the Model 1-8" that I was asking you about the Special Forces background information on now.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:29 AM
Steel Addict

362117763731 on eBay
Old 10-02-2017, 12:57 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by crutchtip View Post
362117763731 on eBay
I'm after it already! lol

Tags
back, bee, blade, bowie, brand, brass, chain, forged, handle, handle material, handles, ivory, knife, knives, made, material, micarta, model 7, nylon, post, randall, sheath, shop, spacer, tang