MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 12-14-2001, 06:17 PM
Cactusforge

File work on spine using power tools

The post, file work on spine promped this post. Often I have
had a customer ask if I could file work a knife (stainless steel)
Pauel Bos heat treats my stainless steel, at least 20 at a time it is hard to anticipate what I want to do to every blade.
I dought that I am the lone ranger in this problum. How do others handle this? Has any one tryed to use power tools, Dremal or Fordom with carbide or grinding burrs to rough in a pattern then finish with hand tools (diamond or what ever)
Rio Grande has tooling that may work. Now I am fulley awere that this proses is asking for trouble (been there and done that) Looking for ideas, Or a tutorial. Gib
Old 12-14-2001, 07:13 PM
SIGGI

Just a thought, but you could just keep one or two unheattreated blade around then when a customer asks you could file one up and ship it out with the next batch.

This of course presupposes that you have standard knife styles in your "catalog".

Anyways........

Bob Sigmon
Old 12-14-2001, 07:55 PM
Raymond Richard

Re: file work

Gib, you could probably use carbide burs but that would be pretty spendy, I'm thinking using an abrasive blade like on a chop saw would work best. You'd be limited on what you could do. To bad you can't go with soft back but know stainless doesn't work that way. Ray
Old 12-14-2001, 11:46 PM
Frank Niro

file work

You can do quite a lot with a dremel and those diamond coated burrs that can be bought at a pretty resonable price. Some pratice on a scrap piece of HARDENED metal is sugested . Those type burrs do not work well at all on softer metals. Regards Frank.
Old 12-15-2001, 01:49 AM
Metalpressr

I used a dremmel for quite awhile, using the long pink sanding bits that are about 3/16's thick, and the very thin cut off wheels with a lot of success for a long while, but both are very dangerous. I stick pretty much nowadays to chain saw files in different sizes, but I still use the thin cut off wheels as well. WEAR SAFTEY GLASSES!!! Or a face shield! The chain saw files cut through hardened steel, no problem. They're cheap too.
Old 12-15-2001, 04:40 PM
ansoknives

I do all my filework with a similar machine to Dremel. And I do it on hardened blades only. I use cutofdisks, round bits for sharpening chainsaws and rubberwheels for polishing.

Old 12-15-2001, 05:28 PM
Cactusforge

Thanks fellas now I will need to do some practice and see how fast I can screw up. Gib
Old 12-16-2001, 10:49 AM
george tichbourne

I use cutoff discs in the dremmel to mark out the pattern, cut the initial grooves with a carbide bit then clean up with diamond bits before buffing for brightness. All done on a hard blade if necessary.
Old 12-16-2001, 02:04 PM
MJHKNIVES

Their is also a pneumatic filing tool to be had at places like Harbor freight etc.,2500 strokes per minute, with diamond files, it would shorten the time of the task.
Old 12-17-2001, 06:00 PM
Gary Mulkey

Gib,

Something that saves me some time is using a rotary file in my drill press to rough in the concave filings and then finishing with a chainsaw file. I don't use the dremel since I prefer to hold the steel and not the tool.

Gary

Tags
blade, knife