MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 12-23-2007, 05:47 PM
Skilled

Damascus Blade Warp

Ed,
Well I work the damascus billit into a blade. When I went to harden about 1 inch from the tip pulled to the left. I went ahead and harden twice more. Then three cycles of tempering. Tried to straighten the with the brass pins. No go just flexed right back. My question is should I quench starting with the tip first and roll the rest of the blade slowly in to the oil. I did a full blade quench as per your Basic damaccus video.

Bing
Old 12-23-2007, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
HI Bing!

My first thought is "did you normalize the blade after you rough ground it, and before you quenched"? Also, if the blade had a fast taper, with a fairly thin tip (or front 1/3 of the blade length), chances are good that the heat was uneven.

I try to leave blades fairly thick prior to quenching, and am satisfied that the normalizing (heat to approx 1300-1350F, and allow to cool in still air) prior to quenching eliminates about 99% of any warpage. I'm just throwing out possibilities right now. Without knowing exactly what you did to the blade, and how it looks, I can only think back to the errors I made and tell you the causes of mine. If none of this sounds like it might have been factors, then lets get into it a little deeper and maybe we can determine the problem(s).

Merry Christmas Pal!!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 12-23-2007, 07:47 PM
Skilled

Ed,
Probably more than one problem after reading your response. Tip was fairly thin about
.065 to .070. (With straight steels I normaly try to keep them about .070 to .090). I was a little limited with material on the damascus. Also I might add when I quenched my oil was at 130 Deg. I also put edge first in the quenching oil. I did put the blade in fast.
Normalized the same as I do straight steels. Maybe I should normalize more than one cycle after rough grinding
I have one more billit left to play with. I will leave more material when rough grinding next time. I will let you know how that goes. Gives me next weekends challenge

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Bing

Tags
blade, knife