MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:16 AM
Skilled

Talking Cold chisels and a neat meeting.

This is just too neat not to share. Yesterday my friend and I drove over to Chicago to get a 3/4" 4'x4'welding table for my shop. The man I was purchasing it from is a Master Stonecarver from Romania who was finishing a teaching term at the Chicago Institute of Art and restoration projects for CIA and other buildings in the Greater Chicago area before returning to Romania in the fall.

He sent me home with an original small broken capital (top piece) that had been replaced from the CIA and a partially finished final spire from a church project that was canceled. His workyard is a vine covered courtyard in the warehouse district filled with pristine blocks of virgin marble. It really was too cool.

That being said, he sent me home with some cold chisels he was not able to sell, but has a bucket more. One you can barely make out the name Dewalt on one of them. I haven't had time to do the research on them since we got home at 1am and it took us till 2:30 to get the table set up, so I thought I'd ask here.

Any idea what they could be made of? I don't often take scrap steel opting for new stock that is not a mystery since I'm learning. But this was an unusual situation.

Thanks in advance.

Julie

Last edited by Julie Coffey; 08-28-2008 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:24 PM
Master

Those stone carvers are fantastic. I've seen them work at the National Cathedral in Wash DC.
The steel might be S-7 ,a tool steel designed for impact. Some use it for knives with impact uses like choppers.That's air hardening so you could test it .See www.crucibleservice.com for HT proceedure.

Tags
knives