MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:36 PM
Administrator

HOLSTEX? - You read it here first!

A quick read through our posts will reveal that most of our sheath and holster making community members are strict Leathersmith's. Discussions on working with, or sample preview threads containing popular sheath and holster thermoforming PVC's, such as Kydex, Concealex or Boltaron, or even lowly ABS plastic, will generally elicit a response similar to what one would expect if they were facing Count Dracula in a dark ally.

This reaction is generally because these types of materials are considered quick and simple, even uninspired when compared to those seen by top-level leather workers. And, they should be! They are not to be compared to the ?art? that one can create with an eye for embellishment connected to the skilled hand of a Master Leathersmith. A quick scan through a few of our posts will drive this point home better than any words I can use.

Most of the thermoform sheaths and holsters that you see today are basically a remake of the same thing, differing only in the item contours and attachment options, and in some cases, the colors and material textures of the sheet material used. (On this note, I have been personally instrumental in introducing the vast majority of the modern colors, printed patterns and textures that you now see on thermoform sheaths and holsters.)

Over the last 10 years, through KnifeKits.com, I have worked directly with KYDEX, LLC (formerly Kleerdex) to standardize the current colors and material gauges that you see being used across the industry as standards in the DIY thermoform arena. In the early days, you could buy black, black and more black. And, if you wanted a new color, you had to bring a loan officer from a major bank to guarantee the money that it required to produce it. I know, I brought mine to the first meeting!

What many of you don?t know about me is that my formal education is in Chemistry. I majored in Organic Chemistry, with minors in Physics and Astronomy. Most people think that I was a Computer Science major. Go figure!! J

Having revealed this, it shouldn?t come as a surprise to learn that I was immediately drawn to the plastics and other synthetic materials that I saw being used in the knife and gun industry. These are the things that I know most about and also the areas where my interests were peaked by the scientific advancements being made. It also helped me to communicate with the lab technicians and chemists that are the real soul of the products that we now refer to. Most of these folks prefer not to talk shop with laymen. However, in order to improve the products in a significant way, it is necessary to communicate in scientific terms.

Over the last year, I have been working with one of the USA?s leading PVC manufacturers to develop a new line of thermoform sheet products designed exclusively for the DIY Thermoform Artist, with an interest in applications that directly support sheath and holster construction. This has resulted in the formation of a new company and a brand new product line that is called HOLSTEX?, operating as Holstex, LLC.

What is HOLSTEX??

HOLSTEX? is a premium grade DIY thermoform PVC based sheet material that is designed for small to medium scale low temperature object molding. HOLSTEX? can be used for both vacuum and press molding.

What are the advantages of HOLSTEX? over other similar products?
  1. HOLSTEX? offers maximum scratch resistance while maintaining low temperature pliability. Scratch resistance increases the aesthetic life of the finished product, increasing overall consumer value and long-range durability.

2. HOLSTEX? is the only thermoform product offered exclusively with dual-side texture. Both sides of HOLSTEX? sheet are textured to guarantee that major finished surfaces are visible in 3 dimensions. This significantly increases the value of finished goods, as artist?s can control undesired material contrasts on molded goods that are caused by 3D fold-over processes.

3. HOLSTEX? is the only thermoform sheet material that comes exclusively with H-SPM?. H-SPM? is a (heat-resistant surface protection mask) that protects the texture finish of HOLSTEX? prior to and during use. H-SPM? contains a specially designed self-adhesive layer that can also be used to wrap target objects to protect their finish during the forming application. Once forming is complete, H-SPM? can be easily removed and discarded, without damage to the object?s surfaces. This makes it significantly more valuable in knife and gun holster applications where proper object handling can minimize or eliminate surface scratching or damage during use.

This is just a small tidbit of the information regarding HOLSTEX? and it?s history of product development. We will be working over time (and overtime) to increase the overall product line to include many new colors and textures. It is not our intent to replace the current thermoform sheet market with HOLSTEX? exclusively. HOLSTEX? will be offered in sheet form only, and will not be available as injection molding pellets or powder.

DIY thermoforming is a microscopic aspect of the global thermoform market, as evidenced by the minimal focus associated with it by major PVC sheet manufacturers. This targeted aspect of the DIY market is our exclusive interest and will be the sole focus of our ongoing development.

More information about HOLSTEX?, including it?s applications and use will be available on our website. As of this writing, we have not launched it publicly, but expect to have it open within a couple of weeks. We are working with another USA chemical manufacturer and are currently testing a new line of adhesives to enhance the use of HOLSTEX? and other thermoform sheet products. As soon as field testing has been concluded, we will open our site with the full product line information available for download.

HOLSTEX? sheet material will be available for retail sales through http://www.KnifeKits.com and its distributors.

I wanted to post this information here first to make sure that all interested KnifeNetwork members have first access to the HOLSTEX? details and products. In an industry where very little change can make a very big splash, a slight advantage over your competitors can create a tidal wave of opportunity!

Remember, ?You read it here first!?

Here are some sample images from our initial product line.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg holstex_tac_mirage_2_600.jpg (41.5 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg holstex_tac_blk_2_600.jpg (47.7 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg holstex_tac_cf_4_600.jpg (49.2 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg holstex_tac_blk_6_600.jpg (55.0 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg holstex_tac_blk_4_600.jpg (40.9 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg holstex_tac_cf_2_600.jpg (64.5 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg holstex_tac_blk_7_600.jpg (55.3 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg holstex_tac_cf_5_600.jpg (53.4 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg holstex_tac_mirage_3_600.jpg (35.6 KB, 78 views)

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 01-13-2012, 09:07 PM

Thumbs up

i just bought a piece of the mirage and started this sheath:
Old 01-14-2012, 05:26 AM
Steel Addict

Linos

I have never been a fan of the clear, but would like too learn more about it if I could.

I would like to ask a couple of questions, if I may?

How did the clear perform?

Did it form and shape as well as the opaque colors?

In your opinion do you think the esposure to sunlight will cause a blade to sweat and rust more then the it would in a sheath made with the opaque version?

Your work and design works well with the knife.

Thanks for listening.

Jeff
Old 01-16-2012, 12:02 AM

I have only worked with black kydex for few months, so i am not that experienced
and this is the first sheath i made with the clear Holstex it did formed around the knife pretty good, as for the exposure to the sunlight i can not really tell so for now
Old 01-24-2012, 06:09 AM
Enthusiast

just had some of this delivered not sure but maybe the first Holstex in the UK

im looking fwds to trying it

i think a carbon Fiber back with a clear front might be interesting

ATB

Duncan
Old 01-26-2012, 07:16 AM
Enthusiast

Just doen the fisrt Holstex sheath

definalty a little diffent than Kydex but no real problem

teh curling actually helps with wrapparounds

heres the CF stuff poor photo sorry but it really suits the CF knife sscales

ATB

Duncan
Old 01-26-2012, 04:39 PM
Administrator

That looks great!!!

We have a couple of new versions of it that are coming soon.

Some of the guys have voiced concern about the dual sided pattern stuff holding in more grit on the sheath inner. This is true, but it works to improve the grip of a belt loop or clip, and you don't get the shiny side effect on rollover designs. It's really a trade off that you have to work around. I like using a inner liner, but most don't use it for some reason. I guess it boils down to extra time and materials, not to mention expense.

On the edge rolling...

We'll be doing a video in a couple of days that will explain how we minimize roll up in the heating cycle. I use a pre-heated transfer tray, but our experiments with a glass rack shelf have worked great also.

Holstex is not Kydex. Even though they are similar, it's like the difference in working with water colors and oil paints. My heating recommendation is 350 for 30 seconds. Depending on your oven type, you may get better heat-up results if you flip the material one time during the period. We recommend a laser thermometer to achieve material temp 290F. We measure it in the center of the sample. Results from that point are fantastic!

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 01-27-2012, 07:22 AM
Enthusiast

I do need to do it again as i got the position a little low so its quite wide ( it shouldnt have a eyelet above the balde ) I hate big wide Kydex sheaths as they do look like a bit of squashed plastic
when done properly they look really special this CF should add to that

on the double texture I do double wrap the blade to get an air gap and was hoping the texture would mean some grit would sit on the low spots so not scratch at all

I use a toaster oven but no tray just on the wire wrack
curl dosnt bother me as most is wrapped and it helps plus I use a shock cord as a 3rd hand to hold the press open so i can position with 2 hands and still get a quick closure

ATB

Duncan

this is a kydex one i did right after definition is similer but i did get better positioning so a thinner profile to fit the Spec ops sheath as their squashed pipe one wasnt suitable

Last edited by FGYT; 01-27-2012 at 07:25 AM.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:01 AM
Enthusiast

HAd to do the CF one again as it was annoying me that it positioned wrong

heres the new one much slimmer with a Maxped pouch attatched

ATB

Duncan
Old 02-04-2012, 08:48 AM

Looks good!!!
Old 02-06-2012, 08:12 AM
Administrator

Excellent job! I like that position, as well!

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 02-09-2012, 10:54 AM
Hall of Famer

Thumbs up HOLSTEX work in progress

I'm absolutely thrilled with the way Alex's new sheath material works. So much so that I'm posting photos of my first Holstex sheath.

This stuff heats and forms so much easier than the old standby, Kydex.

It also seems to me that it holds the heated elasticity longer, giving the maker plenty of time to form the sheath.

So here goes. A running commentary.

By the way, the knife I'm showing here is one of my student's first knife. It hasn't yet been finished.

1. Lay your knife on the material with plenty of room for the seam at the bottom.

2.Rotate the knife with edge up without otherwise moving the knife.

3. Rotate again until the edge faces away.

4. Mark the cut edge leaving lots of material for the seam.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg holstex.jpg (92.0 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg holstex2.jpg (104.6 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg holstex3.jpg (98.3 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by Don Robinson; 02-09-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:03 AM
Hall of Famer

Yeah, that blue color on the handle is crushed turquoise inlayed with super glue and roughed out. The handle isn't finished. We did that to fill the flaws in the mesquite burl.

1. Draw the rough outline, then saw the outline out.

2. I used a toaster oven set at less than 300 (maybe 275 degrees) and let it heat until it was soft and pliable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg holstex4.jpg (136.8 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg holstex5.jpg (70.5 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg holdtex6.jpg (88.8 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by Don Robinson; 02-09-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:10 AM
Hall of Famer

I'm using a Kydex sheath press from KnifeKits.com.

Using cotton gloves, I placed the sheath between the leaves of the press.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg holstex7.jpg (94.8 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg holstex8.jpg (92.5 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg holsex9.jpg (95.1 KB, 62 views)

Last edited by Don Robinson; 02-09-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:13 AM
Hall of Famer

Now while the sheath is still hot, I clamped the press together very tightly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg holstex11.jpg (101.0 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by Don Robinson; 02-09-2012 at 11:17 AM.

Tags
awesome, back, blade, brand, handle, hardware, holster, holsters, holstex, knife, knifekits.com, kydex, made, make, making, material, plastic, post, press, sheath, sheaths, tips, video