MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 04-23-2001, 06:36 PM
Dana Acker

Re: forge welding chain

E-mail me the photo and I'll try to get it up tomorrow. The operative word is Try, but I'll give it a go. E-mail me about the knife trade too. ackerforge@advi.net
Old 04-23-2001, 07:11 PM
john

forge welding chain

albums.photopoint.com/j/A...a=12687078

ok that should be a link to the photopoint gallery with the chainsaw chain knife . you can see a bit of the pattern but my photography is crap. and our camera at work is kinda junky too. and sorry about all the capitol letters earlier our wrk computers stay on caps and i never remember to turn them off.this knife was made witth 4 chain saw chains wired together one atop the ohter and folded into thirds.forged grinded to 320 grit and soaked in ferric chloride. it was not blued or anything.the blade was waxed with rennisance wax after it was all done the handle is black walnut and the pins are the large copper wire for grounding telephone or power poles.
john/oak
Old 04-23-2001, 07:38 PM
Ron claiborne

forge welding chain

John nice pattern
can you tell us how you heat treated it thanks
Bowie
Old 04-23-2001, 09:26 PM
Vaquero57

Re: forge welding chain

Can anyone tell me what kinds of chains are high carbon and what kind are not. Timing chains, bicycle chains, motorcycle chains, chainsaw, transfer case, ect. Lots of chains out there. Cory
Old 04-23-2001, 09:57 PM
john

welding cable

bowie, i kinda heat treat everything the same really.i have a small loaf pan filled with cooking oil.i take a piece of metal and heat it red hot and put it into the oil to heat the oil some.when its hot to touch. its ready. on the blade i heat the whole blade to critical then edge quench only about 1/2 inch of the blade in oil.(the oil is at this time still hot to touch)i leave the blade in the oil holding it by the handle area until the whole thing is back to a dull black color. about 1 and a half minutes. then i quickly dump the whole blade in and let it cool outside.then back to the belt grinder to clean off the scale.before i heat the blade i spray it with an aerosol liquid graphite. this helps stop some scale (not much) and (so i have been told) stop carbon from migrating out of the blade when its at critical temp.(i dont know if thats true or not, but i do it anyway) i do this heat treatment to springs (5160) and cable damascus it seems to work out well.but tis important to heat the oil. i was hurrying a knife for my cousin this weekend and didnt heat the oil.it had to barely seeable cracks in the edge portion.i didnt see them until i got down to 320 grit sand paper. : ) hope this helps. there are many paths to the same gate this is the one i choose, if i saty on the path i get to the gate just fine
oak/john
Old 04-24-2001, 08:37 AM
Dana Acker

Re: Cool Knife

Good job Oak, nice looking blade. Great pattern.
Old 04-25-2001, 07:21 PM
john

forgewelding chain

thanks dana, i like that chainsaw pattern' looks like a cheetah,i think i'm gonna try a liquid cold blue on the blade and see if it makes it any better.
oak
Old 05-01-2001, 07:09 PM
LPowell

Re: Forge welded chain knife pics...

Dana,
Thanks for the kind words. I haven't been online for a little while...too busy with life. Thanks to everybody for the helpful discussion here about forge welding chain. I have been really curious about it. Been spending the last couple of weeks re-working a couple of old belt grinders I plan to add to my shop. (For that matter I've also been "re-working" my shop! Had to get someone's "stuff" moved out of it. It had become a storage room for a couple of family members for awhile. Won't be doing that again anytime soon! LOL!) Dana, I think it's fair to say that this is one of my most favorite stops while I'm online. Thanks for the effort you put forth.
Old 05-01-2001, 08:27 PM
Dana Acker

Re: Forge welded chain knife pics...

My pleasure, Larry. Don't be a stranger.

Tags
blade, fixed blade, forge, forging, knife, knives