MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 08-24-2005, 11:18 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Raindog
First knife

I was thinking today about younger days, back when I was in the 4th grade. My Grandfather McDaniel gave me a Barlow folder and initiated me into the knife brotherhood. I used to stay with him and my grandmother after school and two or three times a week he would ask "Boy, where your knife?" Woe be unto me if I didn't have it.

Now, over 35 years later, I can't imagine ever walking out without at least one knife, of some sort, on me. I just wish that Grandpa was here to see what he instilled in his grandson. It's a shame that today's world will not allow us to pass these values on to our children. Let a child show up at school today with a knife and they are branded a criminal.

Anyway, before I digress too bad, my first knife was a inexpensive Barlow. What was your's? Got a good story to go with it?

-gary

- Ronald Reagan

Last edited by Raindog; 01-05-2006 at 09:25 PM.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:09 PM
Enthusiast

When I was a kid....

I got my first knife, you all know them, the ones at the little mom and pop shops out in the boonies... yeah the knives that cost $1.50 (and still do) well dad let me get one... I was prouder than a strutting rooster...

me and the cousins went camping that night and I was in hog heaven, cutting things and using the heck outa it...

woke up the next morning and I pulled it outa my pocket first thing... it was rusted solid...

But the good news is... it made me realize that the old axiom is true... not that I knew what an axiom was back in the day... that you trully get what you pay for... since then I have learned to buy the best I can afford and I will never be disapointed...

Old 09-07-2005, 07:07 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
...and keep your knife dry.

My first pocket knife was a Barlow. but my Mam maw had an unlimited supply of Old Hickory butcher knives, which she handed to me as I lost them. Which was quite frequently.

Last edited by hammerdownnow; 09-07-2005 at 07:10 PM. Reason: fix pour spelin'
Old 09-21-2005, 08:38 PM

The first knife of mine that I can recall was a Boy Scout knife. Had the bone handle with several blades. I think I must have been in third or fourth grade. Not sure who made it, I'll dig out and snap some pics if I can find it.
Rob

Old 12-27-2005, 11:44 AM
Registered

Send a message via AIM to n3twrkm4n
My first was a cheap $2 folder from Joy's Department store. I remember hearing the words: "You better be careful with that thing." I think the next day I cut myself but I learned respect for how sharp they were.

Up until the point where I used a beautiful filet knife which cut me too, but that's a story for a different time.

Tags
fishing knife, folding knife, knife, knives