MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Business of Knife Making

The Business of Knife Making A forum dedicated to all aspects of running, managing and legal operational issues relating to the custom knife making and custom knife selling industry.

Old 05-12-2003, 02:15 PM
Enthusiast

Location: Carlisle PA, desperately trying to get back to Wild Wonderful West (by God) Virginia
Send a message via AIM to alchemy knife
OT Anyone own a Knife Sharpening/Rental Business?

I know this is a bit off topic, but I'm hoping some of you all might have done this in the past, or know someone who can help.

I am getting ready to close down my brick and morter knife store. (Economic casualty).

The good news is I am keeping my on-line store as it is supporting itself already. However it is not yet at the point that I can make a living from it. While I have over 13 yrs of sales experience, I am a bit too old and set in my ways to really want to work for someone else.

I have been considering opening a mobile sharpening/cutlery rental business. I have a general idea how to go about it, and have been sharpening knives professionally for almost 10 yrs. There is no one in my area offering this service, so I feel it is a viable option. Unfortunately, I have only a general idea of what to expect as a full-time option.

Does anyone in here do this type of business? Maybe someone that works in a commercial establishment uses this service. Any ideas or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Pam

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming.....WOW, what a ride!!

A wealth of information for anyone who works with metal: http://www.iforgeiron.com

Metal artist & blacksmith.

Pictures of what I do: http://www.photoworks.com/share/shareLandi...28B57&cb=PW
Old 05-12-2003, 04:28 PM
Steel Addict

Honestly I don't know, but I have heard of it before much like you say there is someone already in your area doing it, so really I'm offering the post only as incourgment.

I don't know what kind of area you live in but I would think of checking with restaurants first and see if it's something you can get into with the chefs, maybe even a service agreement to hold them into a block of time.

Good luck!

A baby's father
Some mother's son
Old 05-13-2003, 01:38 PM
Hall of Famer

pam -
the only fellow i know that has done this is ben dale, the fellow who manufactures edgepro sharpening systems. you could contact him here: edgepro@gorge.net to ask if he can help.

Old 05-13-2003, 02:21 PM
Guru

Pam,

One thing you might want to try is to approach your area hospitals/clinics and find out what sharpening service they use for their surgical instruments. It may be more convienient for them to use a local service such as yours.
I think Mike Sakmar still does this for the surgeons in his area and until he told me this, I would've never thunk it!

Good hunting!
Tim

...a world without string...and a sharp knife...is chaos.
Old 05-14-2003, 10:44 AM
RIP 11-09-2011

There is a guy in the Dallas Ft. Worth area that has a van equipped with sharpening stuff. He goes to each restaurant, Hotel, ect...sharpening as he goes. Some contracts, and some cold calls, he makes a living though. Just a thought.
Old 05-14-2003, 01:53 PM

Hello Pam,

I think George Tichbourne does sharpening on the side.

You can contact him here: www.tichbourneknives.com

::brendan::

Tags
knife, knives