MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Almost time to go

To Reno! As I write this post theres about 10" of snow on the ground in Great Falls, the temp is in the teens, and the drifts are about 3-4' high in the backyard and driveway. I'm having flashbacks to two years ago when Cindy and I left for the ABS Reno show, flew into Salt Lake, and were told that all flights to Reno had been canceled for the rest of the day due to freezing fog in Reno. We sat around the Salt Lake airport for a couple of hours, then they announced that they had a bus procured that would take those who had to get to Reno. With the show starting the next morning, and our flight not scheduled to leave Salt Lake until 1pm the next day, we got on the bus. WHAT A NIGHTMARE! No heat on the bus, and 10 hours later, at 1am we arrived in Reno, NV. That was the last time that Cindy went to the show with me.....and I'm having those eerie feelings again.

I'll just keep praying that everything goes smoothly. My plane leaves Great Falls at 1pm tomorrow, and I'm suppose to get into Reno about 5:30pm.

I'm kind of anxious to see how the new show format is going to work out. The way things are set up this year, Friday will be all day seminars for the Makers and Clients. Saturday morning there is a 2 hour preview, and selling starts at 11am. At the end of Saturday, the show is over. One of the neat things that is taking place for the makers is that they have the option of placing "draw" boxes on their tables. During the preview, customers can put their name in a box placed with a specific knife. Then at 11am, the maker can draw names for those interested in purchasing a particular knife. The name(s) drawn will have first, second, etc chance to purchase the knife they were drawn for.

There has always been a problem with purveyors buying up a lot of knives, and then clients having little to choose from......I think this will level the playing field in that respect.

The setup of the room is suppose to be different as well. Usually shows are arranged in rows of tables. Supposedly the tables at Reno this year will be arranged in a Kiosk fashion, with tables being arranged in circle or square configurations, spaced out around the room. I'm looking forward to the changes, and very interested to see how they effect the show.

Next year the ABS Expo will be making a move.....to San Antonio, TX. The dates have also been changed to August. Beyond that, I don't really know much more, but think the move to San Antonio will be a good thing. With little chance of getting "snow bound" in August, I suspect I can once again talk Cindy into taking the trip with me.

I'll let everyone know my take on the show when I return, and look forward to seeing my friends and clients at the show!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."

Last edited by Ed Caffrey; 01-23-2008 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:55 AM
Skilled

Ed you will love San Antonio and Cindy will to. You can take her on a nice moon lit strol down canal street. It is real pretty there, plus with it there and us moving to Longview, Texas I will be able to go and maybe get a chance to meet you. Good luck with your show this year.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:55 AM
Skilled

Wishing you the best Ed....

I pray your trip will be very successful with no surprizes in the travel department

Keep us posted on how you do.

Take care,
Dana
Old 01-23-2008, 03:02 PM
Hall of Famer

Hope your show goes well and your travel is smooth.

Tags
knife, knives