MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > This Old Knife

This Old Knife Here is a little forum dedicated to talking about, but not limited to, vintage and antique knives. Pics and stories of special knives or your favorite patterns are encouraged. No experts here. Just guys chattin about old knives and the legends we hav

Old 07-13-2006, 10:58 PM

Wouldn't it be neat to have this Moran blade?

eBay Item number: 260002881429

I placed a bid, my personal max, and unfortunately I don't expect it to stand. It's not the prettiest or fanciest and it's definitely 'old school' Moran from 30 years ago, but it is 100% mint and if it could be had for $4,500 I think it would be a good investment while providing the owner much pleasure.

Opinions, comments?

Avatar ~ custom crank case cover from 1969 Harley shovelhead chopper
Old 07-14-2006, 01:04 AM

Link to the page in question: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...fromZR8QQfviZ1

Old 07-14-2006, 02:58 AM
Hall of Famer

Boy Howdy Buddy, I think that this knife would be a wonderful gift! So keep bidding, as the top price is no object when considering our friendship, and you know I'd be honored to have it!

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 07-14-2006, 07:08 AM

Yup, it's pristine. To that end I forecast a winning bid of about $7k. I am afraid the $4500 figure will fall off the planet in the final 30 minutes.

If that knife wasn't Moran it would sell for about $150.00. Isn't that something!!!

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 07-14-2006, 09:43 AM

Robert - Well, if I do get it, can I trade it to you for one of your 7K rocking chairs?

Coop - Agreed. It will be interesting to see the final winning bid on this one, given Moran's recent passing. In connection with the article I wrote for BLADE (July 2006 issue) about a knife of this same vintage, I had the chance to speak with Mr. Johnny Perry, big time Moran blade collector and expert in these matters. He valued the well-used hunter featured in the article at (as I recall) about $4,400 or so. Therefore, I figured this totally mint custom order specimen would fetch at least that and actually probably much more. Thus $4,500 seemed a bargain to me and would allow a quick turn for a small profit or be a nice one to keep for a while... and then give it to Mr. Hensarling.

Old 07-14-2006, 01:03 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Thomason
Robert - Well, if I do get it, can I trade it to you for one of your 7K rocking chairs?

You bet! I'll get it ready to ship. No second thought, you need to deliver the knife, I just don't trust the mail service anymore. I can schedule you in for next Friday the 22nd, at 11:40. How does that sound? (like one of your patients schedules probably )

a nice one to keep for a while... and then give it to Mr. Hensarling.
Absolutely! You're just the very best friend I have Buddy, such a neat and nice guy!
Maybe you should send it to Coop first. I can see him now waiting for the USPS truck.

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 07-17-2006, 12:57 AM

$4,550 and holding with less than 24 hours to go. I'm outbid but will be watching as I suspect there will be major sniping going down on this item.

Old 07-17-2006, 02:25 PM
Steel Addict

How do you guys know it's real? It certainly looks new, could a 30 yr old knife look that good? Just asking.

Thanks,

Dave
Old 07-17-2006, 09:14 PM

Dave - You ask a very good and appropriate question. I know from having seen a bunch of Moran knives but mainly because I researched and wrote an article for the July 06 issue of BLADE Magazine about a same vintage Moran knife. The maker's mark stamping and handle treatment as it comes off the guard are identical to the one I wrote about. I wouldn't ordinarily be so confident without seeing the knife in person, but for the situation I mentioned above.

Well, I think I blew it! Final bid was $4,726 - in my view that was still a pretty good deal. I'll be awake tonight for sure wondering if I made a terrible mistake. I believe I could've borrowed the money from Robert or Coop, paid it back with interest and still made a profit on this one!

Old 07-17-2006, 09:35 PM

Location: Blairsville--in the beautiful Appalachian mountains of North Georgia.
Buddy, dear friend----You have my sincere condolences on your loss! ---Sandy---

Old 07-17-2006, 10:37 PM

Is it possible I'm lacking...... guts? Nahhh! I set my limit and stuck to it. That's good, I think. That takes guts. Or was I just... scared?

Actually, it was an ugly knife. That's it! I'm too pretty for that knife. "Don't buy no ugly knife" - even a Moran.

And that sheath - Sandy, that sheath Moran made was so plain... and ugly too. OK, I think I got it figured out now - at least enough soze I can sleep tonight.

Old 07-17-2006, 11:26 PM
Hall of Famer

I don't know Buddy, but another $100 bucks or so and I could have had a decent Moran there. I'm pretty dissappointed in you right now, may talk to you later on, may not. Certianly I would have traded. It was at least a $9,500 knife!
snif snif.

I'm thinking the pristene condition of that knife led many to believe it wasn't 30 years old, and got em spooked.

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 07-18-2006, 07:21 AM
Steel Addict

Buddy and guys,

I still can't help wondering about that knife. Granted, the markings were right on, but here's why I still have doubts. How many guys 30 years ago would have bought a knife and never used it? They didn't know then that Moran would became famous, and that the knife would ultimately be worth thousands of dollars. Just seems strange to me. If I have the money to buy a famous knife, I would personally feel more confortable if it showed some signs of useage. Going back to the Hubers, you don't see a brand new mint condition Huber come on the market, well...at least I haven't. Okay, the Moran is real, but.....

Dave
Old 07-18-2006, 07:26 AM

We'll never know how much higher the winning bidder's reserve was. It may have taken another thousand to clear it, I dunno.

I agree about it's being somewhat ugly. I would only want it for it's historical and investment value. I have knives 1/25 the cost that are more appealing....

I don't think it's a scam.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 07-18-2006, 12:03 PM
Steel Addict

Well, I went back and learned a little history on Mr. Moran. It seems that in the mid-60's he had a four year waiting list, and was already very well known. That changes my perspective. I can now understand why a man would have bought a knife 30 years ago, and never sharpened it, carried it, or used it (well, I really can't, because I know I would have used it). It takes a certain type of person to buy a knife and keep it as a long term (in this case, a very long term) investment.

Are you still upset, Buddy? Look on the bright side, at least you didn't have to give it to Robert.

Dave

Tags
blade, knife, knives