MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:13 AM
Steel Addict

Wishing you the best, Ed. It has been a long haul for you and I hope everything gets resolved.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
From Utah:

Cindy and I got here (the University of Utah Med Center) on Monday evening....very nice accommodations.

This morning we were up very early, to get to the Radiology dept. for a "Gastic Emptying" study. The fed me some radioactive beef stew and Orange juice...the took X-rays every 30 mins., for 2 hours. At 11:30am we had an appointment with Dr Fang (the head Gastroenterology Doc). He reviewed my records, all the previous tests that had been done, and spent some time asking me questions. When I started my story of what had gone on in our family this year, he got a knowing look on his face. He did a complete exam on me, and then went through all my records a second time.

Essentially, he explained to us that it is very likely that the stress and depression of the past year caused my issues. He went on to compare the "receptors" in the stomach with the brain....saying that there are just as many receptors in the stomach as the brain, and they they are very closely linked....and that the pain is/was very real....even if there is nothing physically amiss in the stomach. He told me that he has seen this a number of times, and recommended that since there is such close link between the brain and nerves in the stomach, that I take Zoloft in a mild dose (50mg) for about a year.
So in it turns out to be a stress/anxiety/depression issue. Which even after bringing that possibility up with my military Doc several times....he ignored it. I think I've discovered that when it comes to the military Docs, anything to do with any of those factors is basically "taboo", and is just brushed under the rug.
This Doc went on to say that everything indicates that I am "on my way back"....just not there yet. He told me that there will be "ups and downs", and putting a number on it, says that I'm about 75% where I need to be....and that the zoloft should certainly help me in this case.
I was scheduled for an endoscopy tomorrow, but after discussing it with the Dr. Fang, we cancelled it, saying that he didn't think it was necessary.....so we are done here, and will head back to Montana on Thursday.

So, I feel like this Doc put a finger on something that none of the others have been able to do in 7 months. And that other Docs refused to consider.

So, I'm glad that I kept pressing, and glad that I got to this place, and to a Doc who actually talked to us, and who obviously has much more knowledge/experience with issues such as mine.....and more importantly, knows/understands how to diagnose and treat it.

Cindy and I will go away from this place, feeling like I got the care, information, and instructions needed for me to get back to "the old Ed" again.

The battle may not be over, but I do feel now that I understand and can/will get back to where I need to be.

Thanks to everyone for your prayers, support, and well wishes! Especially to Jim Clow, and Steve Kelly for being there when I needed them the most.....and to Bing and Dana for allowing me to "chew their ears" and help me along.

The folks in the knife world are simply the best!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."

Last edited by Ed Caffrey; 11-13-2012 at 03:13 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:25 PM
Skilled

Send a message via AIM to boatbuilder
ED
That is great news. I'm glad you got the answers you were looking for. Look forward to seeing you guys soon.
P.S. call anytime.

Jim/Bev
Old 11-13-2012, 04:20 PM
Master

Same here Ed, call anytime. Great news, but tell 'em you want the young Ed back. Getting old isn't all it's cracked up to be. One day at a time, but maybe just maybe you and Cindy might follow some of the other knife folks out this way for the spring Plazacutlery show. Who knows, chances are there'd be other stuff to see and do.

See you around, Craig
Old 11-13-2012, 06:44 PM
Steel Addict

Wonderful news Ed. Now maybe you can get back to feeling good again. Do you have any idea whether you will try to make San Antonio this time?

Old 11-13-2012, 07:08 PM
Skilled

Thumbs up

Sandy and I just read this post together and we are so very glad and thankful for what has happened down there. We will continue, Ed, to keep you in our prayers until the ol' Ed is 100% again.

Wonderful news, buddy! Please give Cindy a big hug for us too!

Dana and Sandy
Old 11-13-2012, 09:46 PM
Steel Addict

Ed That is great news, I'm glad you finally got some solid advice and some information that will help you get well and move on past this bumpy section of road in your life. You and Cindy have a great trip home and back to some normalcy.

Jim

Old 11-14-2012, 07:10 PM
Skilled

Ed, Glad to hear the news. Sometimes we have to go outside of our local area to find out what is needed. Will talk to you this weekend.
Safe travels home.

God Bless

Bing

Old 11-18-2012, 09:37 PM
Skilled

Glad to hear you got some answers. Keep your spirits up as much as possible. You need to get out and do some serious hunting!!

Take care

Chuck Richards ABS J.S.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:30 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Good idea Chuck! Today and tomorrow Mandi and I are hitting the woods, along with a good friend from Church. If we don't fill tags today, we'll go back tomorrow!

HEY JIM! You need to post all those pics you've sent me here on the forums!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 11-19-2012, 12:20 PM
Skilled

Ed, great news, and glad to hear you're on the mend. And you're right, military docs aren't fond of dealing with PTSD related issues.

You hang in there, and best wishes for you and your Mrs.

We worn out military types gotta stick together, y'know? Hang in there.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:39 PM
Skilled

Amen to that 27 year vet here . and let me tell you survival is not easy but i make do as a can .

Sam

Live and Let Live , Do Not trespass on Life or Me! As we are not so kind or forgiving !
Old 11-19-2012, 03:28 PM
Hall of Famer

Having basically dealt with something like this most of my life, I had a feeling that this was the way things were going to turn out but being sick doesn't make one a doctor so I tried real hard not to diagnose. It's soooo nice to have a doctor who will listen to you instead of treating you like you are wasting his time. Most of these things are diagnose by a process of elimination and I'm glad that you've got your diagnosis. Sometimes all it takes is a fresh set of eyes What you've been going through the last couple of years would make a pile of turds look like a bowl full of cherries. A man can only take so much. Do what you need to do to take care of yourself. The heck with what others think.

Doug

Old 11-19-2012, 06:46 PM

great to hear Ed, hope your back to A ok soon, see you in january
Old 11-19-2012, 10:35 PM
Skilled

I'm so glad you got some answers, Ed. I'll continue to pray that each day gets better for you.

Tags
acid, advice, art, back, bee, buck, cancer, common, easy, file, handle, home, how to, knife, made, make, man, military, minnesota, mountain, package, pocket, press, simple, tools