MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 03-05-2006, 08:14 PM
Enthusiast

Integral for Max

Despite my forging obsession, time rarely permits with a little one in the house and my wife going back to school. It is hard to feel like I am getting the hang of this, because every time I start a new project I go with a completely different style. There's lots of problem solving I have to do whenever I make a knife because of it, but at the same time it keeps me learning.

This would be my first integral, and it is from coil spring salvaged off of a train that derailed last year in the town where I grew up. I have been told that it could be 9260 or 6150... not really sure which one, but if my arm the next day was any indication it was 6150. The handle is leadwood with a copper spacer and nickel silver pin. 11.25" OAL, 6.75" blade (I'm a sucker for the golden ratio):

I was at Max Burnett's last weekend... convinced him to fire up his forge for the first time in about a year and a half and we worked up a damascus billet. He liked this knife enough that he wanted it for an EDC and tried to trade me out of it. Max is family as far as I'm concerned, and the fact that he likes it makes it his free of charge. It's enough for me to learn what it feels like to create something that another person actually wants to use.

Thanks for looking!
--adam
Old 03-05-2006, 08:53 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
I would have tried to talk you out of it also. Nice looking knife. Ya gotta take something for it. Even if it is a penny. Bad luck if you don't. Having a knife from Max would be one to treasure. He finding any burl treasures in all that wood he has been cutting?

Old 03-05-2006, 09:24 PM
Enthusiast

Can't have any bad luck now! We actually did make a trade of sorts. I now have a rather large collection of Max's forged blades that I am going to finish out as a collaborative effort. The trade is that I get to keep one for myself. I already have a couple knives from Max from past trades/gifts, and you are right, they are my most treasured.

He's got stacks of good wood. In fact, you just reminded me that I left a 1x3 ft section of walnut burl sitting in his car port. Guess that mean I'll have to make another visit soon.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:11 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
Good deal. Send our love to Max. We had some great threads going in days gone by.

Old 03-05-2006, 11:11 PM
Skilled

That is beautiful. Great work.

Old 03-06-2006, 08:11 AM
Misternatural?

Looks awesome Adam!
I knew you were going to be good the first day you were at my shop. I'm glad you are still finding some time for knifemaking, but you really should try and do more. You have the talent. You owe it to yourself.

Tell Max I said hi.

Last edited by Misternatural?; 03-06-2006 at 08:16 AM.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:58 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks, Tai. That means a lot to me. I was just mentioning on another forum how sad it is that I have only been able to create 6 knives in the 2 years it has been since I first hit hot steel in your shop. We owe lots of things to ourselves, and even though my opportunities are slow in coming, I will never give up on it. My time will come, and when it does that is where my time will be spent.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:09 AM
Misternatural?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamRidlon
Thanks, Tai. That means a lot to me. I was just mentioning on another forum how sad it is that I have only been able to create 6 knives in the 2 years it has been since I first hit hot steel in your shop. We owe lots of things to ourselves, and even though my opportunities are slow in coming, I will never give up on it. My time will come, and when it does that is where my time will be spent.
Right on.

You've obviously put a lot of thought into the ones you've made.

The greatest gift you can give your family, or anyone else, is your own happiness.

Last edited by Misternatural?; 03-06-2006 at 11:23 AM.

Tags
blade, forge, forging, knife, knives