MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 08-30-2004, 01:41 PM
Enthusiast

Even MORE forge questions

So I've decided to build the burners on Bob Warners very informative web site, but I have a couple of questions. Having been up to the hardware store this weekend I'm a little confused about the brass components needed for this project. When looking at brass components there were 3 categories:

flared
compressed
????(I can't remember the name)

Talking with the plumbing guy there he said that I couldn't/shouldn't run propane through any of them except flared because the others would leak. However the components I need don't exist in flared...so I'm stumped. How do you make sure the connections on the brass components don't leak? Teflon tape or something else that I'm to dumb to know about?

Also, and this may be asking too much, does anyone have an up close picture of a completed burner setup, with 2 burners? It helps me to actually see what I'm trying to make, I'm simple that way.

Thanks again for all the help.

Jared
Old 08-30-2004, 03:19 PM
Steel Addict

My forge burners. (Long)

I build mine from the plumbing department at Lowes. just used the 1/4 inch brass stuff and no flare fittings. I used a industrial thread sealant we use on gasoline lines and have NO LEAKS I have deadheaded the assembly and checked with no bubbles. To build what I have I bought.

4 1/4 inch brass nipples
2 1/4 inch brass tees
2 1/4 inch brass pipe caps
2 1/4 inch pipe plugs
2 1/4 inch ball valves
2 1/4 inch barbed fittings for 3/8 line
1 3/8 brass tee

Then just hook everything together ( this is for two burners ) with propane supply line. I got screwed the only stuff I could find was goodyear and it was about 4 bucks a foot, but I figure in the end you get what you pay for. I finally got around to putting a choke mechanism on my burners and they rock now. I made the choke plates out of the inserts in old canning jars and drilled a hole in the bell reducer to use for a pivot. I have plans for a better choke mechanism in the future but have yet to build it.

Sorry for the long winded post.

Old 08-30-2004, 07:54 PM
Living Legend

First rule of fabrication. Don't even tell them what your making. They don't know how to make it so they say it can't be done. My answer when asked what I am making is "Something that will probably kill me."

The parts I used are 1/4" brass, no flares. I used plumbers tape to seal the joints. I run a forge that is four years old and have not touched the burners since building them.

I brought my propane to a TEE then went both directions to the burners. I don't have a picture but if you make the burners like the picture on my web site and just connect them together with two nipples and a tee, you should be good to go.

Tumbling down the road at 35 MPH is no fun, TRUST ME!
Old 08-30-2004, 08:54 PM
Steel Addict

Hi Jared Good luck on building your forge. I finished a 4 burner (2 more than i really need) back in june and it works like a dream.I built it off of ron reil's web page.He has lots of photo's and drawings for the burners themselves.He also spells it out so that even a kid could build it.My brass fittings all have pipe threads with plumbers dope and the copper pipe is secured using comppresion fittings.Check out the web site at www.reil1.net you wont be dissapointed.I built mine for about $275.00 canadian using 90% new materials.

Hope this helps
Paul Savage
Old 08-30-2004, 10:19 PM
Master

Be sure to check out the Forge Gallery pages at:

http://ForgeGallery.EllisCustomKnifeworks.com

for more ideas and methods that others have used to build forges!
I've got about another 20 or so submissions to add to the pages, just as soon as I have the free time!

-Darren

Visit the Forge Gallery - forge building resource pages
ForgeGallery.EllisCustomKnifeworks.com

Tags
forge