MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community

Knife Network Community TKN is all about excellence and sharing info. Our 'other' lives are also filled with stories, events, and opinions. This forum is an opportunity to discuss outside interests, personal experience, things that make us happy and things that don't!

Old 12-06-2004, 05:05 PM
Guru

Ouch.

I ground about 1/4" off the end of my left thump this weekend while trying to hit the surface of a wrought iron tsuba on the belt grinder. At least it was 320 grit so it didn't take off much. In fact it didn't really hurt much at all until my wife made me rinse it off and put peroxide on it! It's making up for the pain today though! Not eaxctly a severe wound, but in a darn inconvenient spot!

Buttoning a shirt, unscrewing a jar lid, computer keyboard....it all hurts! Can't wait to get back home and do some more grinding!

Old 12-06-2004, 06:15 PM
Living Legend

Lee Valley and Woodworkers Supply sell this fabric tape that sticks to itself for covering digits, Don. It helps some when flesh is missing. Hope you heal well....
Old 12-06-2004, 07:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to J.Arthur Loose Send a message via Yahoo to J.Arthur Loose
Yup; we're all missing stuff.

It's part of the Bargain...

jloose.com

Old 12-06-2004, 07:27 PM
Skilled

I had some knuckle meat go AWOL not too long ago. Real quick on a new 60 grit belt. I guess you can call that my christening.

Bill

Old 12-06-2004, 08:28 PM
Enthusiast

do you guys not like waring gloves?
or is it harder to grind with them on?
Old 12-06-2004, 09:12 PM
Skilled

gloves are NOT recommended around spinning and rotating equipment. with gloves you may loose more than a little skin.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:04 PM
Enthusiast

Hey,
In the sheet metal shop I used to work in we weren't allowed to wear gloves. I saw a guy wrap his little finger around a drill bit on a 1/2" drill backwards cause he was wearing gloves.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:27 AM
Guru

I worked as a machinist II for a NASA contractor. About the only time we wore gloves was when we were deburring stuff or relocating sheet metal. Mills, drills, lathes, notchers...you don't want anything that might "grab".

I figure it's been a good long while since I did anything dumb in the shop, so I guess I was due! At least it was the left hand. And I was just kidding my wife the night before about the toast cutterproject. I said, "gosh, this will be one the first blades in a long time that has left my shop without me bleeding all over it..."...shoulda kept my mouth shut!

I will say that I was impressed with the cutting ability of the Klingspor belt. I've never been bit by the coarse grit ones. the fine grit ones where I'm holding small pieces at odd angles are the ones usually leaving the "carpet burns". This was a 1/8" thick tsuba section of wrought iron I was holding flat against the grinder face. My thumb stuck down a tad below the piece and I caught it on that belt edge which was rolled slightly around the platen edge.

Old 12-07-2004, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

What's truely amazing is how quickly a dull belt can remove flesh! Having lost a portion of my right index finger on a table saw, I can understand the misery.

I was at a gun show some months back and stopped by a table of custom knives. I can't remember who the maker was, but the lady selling the knives said that the maker wouldn't do small blades after this batch because he had lost all feeling in his fingertips from all the years of grinding. Makes ya think a bit!

Old 12-07-2004, 09:54 PM
Enthusiast

All the knives I have worked on and/or used have drawn my blood , it comes with the territory,but still hurts just the same. It always gets a spot you don`t think about and take for granted but you remember the next time you use that finger or thumb for it will still be tender until the healing process is finished.
Hope you heal fast , Don and keep it clean and use plenty of neosporin,you wouldn`t want an infection in the wound.

Old 12-08-2004, 02:13 PM
Steel Addict

I've OFTEN been trying to taper the tang.. holding the top with one hand and putting pressure with the thumb of the other hand.. and the knife would get grabbed and slip up and my thumb end up on the belt.. YEOWWW.. not a nice feeling. Now my thumb has some nice large thick skin on it.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:19 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe H.
do you guys not like waring gloves?
or is it harder to grind with them on?

I never wear gloves to grind.. besides the point that gloves can get cought in the wheel and rip your hand up.. You also don't get the feel of the grind with a glove on.

I only hollow grind these days and I do it by getting a feel of the blade when it's in that groove.. you know it's there.. by feel.

ALSO.. I do most of the grinding after I heat treat.. and you must be able to feel the heat of the blade while grinding.. to keep it from getting too hot.. Everytime I make a swipe across the belt.. I dip in water.

Tags
blade, knife, knives