MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 03-26-2004, 04:48 AM
Skilled

Send a message via AIM to striper28 Send a message via Yahoo to striper28
Do knifemakers get referral (finders)fees from other makers?

I was wondering if knifemakers get referral (finders) fees from other makers or dealers? I have a great customer who was interested in aquiring a knife from a particular, well known maker who I am friends with. I even gave the maker a heads up that the customer was going to call. I put them in contact with each other and a knife was ordered.

I have had to pay finders fees in the past to dealers who put one of their customers in contact with me for a custom order.

If there is such a thing how much is it? 10%?
Thanks,
Chuck

Member of the Knifemakers Guild!
Visit my webpage at
www.gedraitisknives.com

Last edited by striper28; 04-05-2004 at 10:11 PM.
Old 03-26-2004, 05:00 AM
Steel Addict

It depends on where you live. Most folks just chaulk it up to being a good human being and hope the favor will be repaid. Some folks charge you for anything they can think of to turn a buck

Mark

Old 03-26-2004, 07:12 AM
Living Legend

I have never been involved with finder's fees in knifemaking. I have refered customers to other makers and have had other makers refer customers to be and nobody ever requested a fee for doing so.

Tumbling down the road at 35 MPH is no fun, TRUST ME!
Old 03-26-2004, 08:21 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

I'm with Bob, never requested a fee, never paid one. I know that technically there's nothing wrong with it, and that it's "just business". From my point of view though, "just business" is what's wrong with most businesses. I'll do what I can to see that knifemaking continues to be a way of life for me and not let it degenerate into nothing more than "business".......

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 03-26-2004, 08:58 AM
RIP 11-09-2011

It is more like a professional courtesy.
Last week someone sent a customer to me(from here), but I could not get his order out in time, so I referred him to Bob Warner.Everybody wins this way.
The customer gets what he wanted, I don't have to rush my stuff, and Bob gets a new customer(assuming he did not pass him to someone else).
I send many customers to people "I" think would do them a good job for several reasons, ie...
Orders are piled up,
Someone else could do a better job for the customer,
Someone wanting less expensive labor than mine,
second opinions,
Out of my field orders, like tacticals, or liner locks(which I choose not to make)
People in a hurry to get an order filled,right away.(not my style)

This business comes down to giving the customer what he wants, even if it is NOT with you. Honesty will be rememberred.

we pass names around to help everyone get what they need.
Old 03-26-2004, 02:40 PM
Skilled

Send a message via AIM to flashinthepan Send a message via Yahoo to flashinthepan
Thumbs down WHY ????????????

Why charge for practicing " The Golden Rule " ???
If that's the case, all these neat people can " charge " whatever they want for giving out helpful advice - it's known as consulting !! :cool: :cool:
I've had some great conversations with Chuck, Paul, Jon, Josh over the phone, without ever meeting them..in person..
Gee, I's sure glad they didn't charge me for their time and help.. I've also had e-mails from Ray and Mike; and these take time and effort..
I know for a fact many of these knivemakers give materials and labor and time free just to help another get started..
I don't believe in charging money for " passing it on " ....
I've come to believe that what ever I give away comes back tenfold anyways...

That's a feeling that money can't buy - doing the right things for the right reasons..
Enough of sermonette from me..
Be well
Thom
Quote:
push on the chain ???
Old 03-26-2004, 04:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to J.Arthur Loose Send a message via Yahoo to J.Arthur Loose
I've refered to a couple knifemakers when I could have taken the order / sale, and it hurts in the short term... but I've also gotten a few from other makers. I think what goes around comes around and a customer who knows that you'll refer them to someone better able to make exactly what they want will remember you well. It establishes good word-fame.

I would have no problem paying a gallery for a referal though... that's advertising.

jloose.com

Old 03-26-2004, 10:25 PM

Location: Blairsville--in the beautiful Appalachian mountains of North Georgia.
In my opinion-----

Very few craftsman would give a referral that would come back to haunt them. even if it were to a friend. In this business which is such a select group, that referral is quite apt to to involve a friend who is capable of doing the work requested. So---- What price is placed on friendship? ---Sandy---

Old 03-27-2004, 06:39 AM
Hall of Famer

Thumbs up

Well put Sandy!

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 03-28-2004, 07:40 PM
Registered

I've never heard of a finders fee, We are more than glad to refer an individual to a knifemaker who can make a product we just don't make as a habit, like Damascus or the best oyster knives. In return we expect nothing...what for? If you know someone that can turn out what you are looking for the all the best to both parties. Cavelady

Old 03-28-2004, 08:54 PM
Master

I think it's best just to pass on referrals without looking for monetary compensation. My guess would be that the favour will be returned in kind.

Old 03-31-2004, 06:18 PM
Skilled

In my "real life" business I have routinely payed referral or finders fees to peope who have sent me work. Usually it's just $25 or $50 but it is a little thank you for sending me the job. But I would say that most of the time I have done this with people who will be ongoing sources of work such as decorators or contracters who don't do the kind of work that I do. So if your friend has some class, perhaps he'll do something nice for you or lay a nice piece of ivory on you. At least a hearty thank you and a beer at the next show are in order!

Knives, Tools and Videos: http://www.phlaunt.com/atwoodknives
Old 04-01-2004, 03:59 AM
Skilled

Send a message via AIM to striper28 Send a message via Yahoo to striper28
Peter,
That's all I was looking for from him.
Thanks,
Chuck

Member of the Knifemakers Guild!
Visit my webpage at
www.gedraitisknives.com
Old 04-03-2004, 12:54 PM
Enthusiast

I take my aprouch to the the industry as it was shown to me. When I first started doing shows, Hugh Bartug (Ashley Forge) brought someone over to my table and said "This is Steve. He makes nice stuff. You should publish him" I was truely convinced at that point that this was the life for me. These people will take a moment of there time and help someone. Since then I try to pass on the favor. Weather it is giving someone an address to submit knives, having an extra table cloth in my show bag if someone needs it, passing on a sale to someone for something I would not do anyway or helping someone with there web site. Ther have been sooooo many times I was just one sale away from packing in the shop. You never know just how much you can help another knifemaker. In such a small industry every good turn does come back to you. After all we do this because this is what we love not because we think this will make us rich.

Tags
forge, knives