MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:23 AM
Hall of Famer

grinder speed

I'm going to be getting a grinder and I'm considering which pulleys to get. I have a 2hp motor that runs at 3450rpm and the maker of the grinder thinks that this is an ok speed. However I have been thinking of using a larger pulley on the grinder than the motor and reducing the speed, probably to 1/2 the speed of the motor. I'm a knifesmith so the beveles will be set with the hammer and I'll basically be needing to clean up the profile, grind the surface of the blades down, and then grind in the edge. What is your feeling on grinder speed if one is restricted to one constant speed?

Doug Lester

Old 01-15-2008, 01:10 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

My grinder is variable speed but I find that most of the time I run it at about 1500 - 1700 sfpm. For a single speed grinder I'd like to have it in that range, especially for the type of clean up work you'll be doing. It's fast enough to still be useful for fast metal removal but slow enough for finer belts as long as they are fresh and sharp....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 01-15-2008, 02:24 PM
Skilled

I think above 1725, you are asking for problems.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:48 PM
Master

Hi Doug,

I used a 3600 rpm motor for a while with a 2" pulley on the motor, and a 2/3/4 step pulley on the machine and it worked well. Had to hang my motor table saw style to be able to shift it over and change speeds. On 'high' speed it was still a little slower than a full tilt Wilton, so it was managable as well as nice to be able to slow down.

Best of luck, Craig

I'd like to add in that I'm thinking that you have a 4" drive wheel on the belt. If I had only one speed, I'd prefer a higher speed to do the rough work and switch to hand work if needed when things are closer.

Last edited by cdent; 01-15-2008 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:14 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to DiamondG Knives
Would a multi step pully give you the option of variable speeds?

Old 01-16-2008, 09:20 AM
Skilled

Try a Maska step pulley

Hi Doug,

I'm still using the poor man's variable speed setup on my KMG. I bought the 3 step (2-3-4) pulleys from
Rob Frink and it works pretty well (still would love the real deal but that'll have to wait when I can get $$$).
I am contemplating going to a 2-3-4-5-6 (5 step) Maska pulley setup and there is a sote on ebay called
ElectricMotorSite that carries these items. You will need one for the motor and one for the drive on the grinder.

Hope this helps!
Dana
Old 01-16-2008, 09:58 AM
Hall of Famer

Thanks for the replys. I think that I'll go conservative on the speed unless and until I can get a good deal on 1700 2hp motor and reduce the rpm with a larger driven wheel. Probably be better to learn on anyway and I'll gain a little more power with the increased torque.

Doug Lester

Old 01-16-2008, 03:53 PM
Skilled

What Ray said was that the Surface Feet per Minute speed of his belt is in the 1750 Ft / Min range.

The drive wheel on the motor sets this Surface Feet per Minute speed not the RPM of the motor.

For instance a 4" diameter drive wheel on a 3200 RPM motor results in a Surface Feet per Minute of 3200 survace feet per minute (4" diameter X Pi = approx 1 ft per revolution).

The controlling factors to be taken into account are the drive wheel diameter and the RPM of that wheel. These must be considered when adjusting speeds.

On the other hand I run my grinder in excess of 5000 Surface Feet per Minute at all times.

It is what you get used to.

George

Tags
blade