MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > This Old Knife

This Old Knife Here is a little forum dedicated to talking about, but not limited to, vintage and antique knives. Pics and stories of special knives or your favorite patterns are encouraged. No experts here. Just guys chattin about old knives and the legends we hav

Old 07-16-2011, 08:13 PM
Enthusiast

Question MK 2 combat knife

I have acquired a MK 2 combat knife that is in need of some love. The blade I should be able to clean up with fine sand paper and some gun blue. However the handle also will need to be replaced due to a couple broken and/or missing leather rings. The issue that comes up is this: How the H#!l do I get the pommel off? According to the info that I have read on it, the pommel is either penned on or screwed on. From looking at it, I don't see where they would have screwed it on....

So, any ideas on how to work this out?

-Geoff
Old 07-17-2011, 01:27 AM
Super Moderator

It's probably peened. Since some of the leather is gone, will the pommel slide down a bit? If it does, you can take more leather off and then flatten the end. If not, the the part of the tang going through the pommel is smaller than the rest of the tang and you will probably have to carefully drill it out. You'll have to grind the tang end down a bit to put it back together, so you'll lose a small amount of the handle length.

Re-working an old knife can be an interesting project and sometimes you have to do things you wouldn't ordinarily do in order to put it back in working condition. Sometimes the best thing to do is turn it into a display piece.

Old 07-17-2011, 02:29 AM
Enthusiast

I was thinking about replacing the leather with antler, so cutting it off would not really be a big deal for me. I have another MK 2 in almost perfect condition that I have in a case with my NCO cutlass, and trifold flag. I was actually thinking about using this one for a camp/hunter. At least I have an idea what to do now. I picked up an box of old knives at a sale, so I got a few others that I will be working on too. Thanks for the info.

-Geoff
Old 07-18-2011, 10:13 PM
Enthusiast

Pommel is very secure on the tang... the leather however did not survive my light, fine sanding attempt. To old and dry, crumbled when I touched it by hand... at least the tang is in good shape. I'll be cutting off the pommel and fitting a new handle to it soon.

-Geoff
Old 07-25-2011, 01:16 AM
Enthusiast

The knife is cleaning up really well. Almost all the old blue and rust is off the blade and guard is now straight. I have the first part of the handle (a 1 1/2 inch chunk of Koa from another project) ready to place once I reblue the guard and blade. Still working on the antler, wanted to get an almost perfect fit, not rushing it any. Started on the sheath for it today as well. Nordic style, wood wrapped in leather with belt loop. When it is finished, I will post a couple of pics. Didn't think to start any pics from when I got it.... But at least the final project will be seen.

-Geoff

Tags
antler, blade, guard, hunter, knife, knives, leather, post, sheath, tang