MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Organizations and Club Boards > The North Carolina Custom Knifemakers Guild Forum

The North Carolina Custom Knifemakers Guild Forum The North Carolina Custom Knifemakers Guild. Raising the general awareness of custom knives and the people who make them.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:42 PM
Registered

Wanted: Skilled Knife Maker to show me the ropes

I am a 28 year old that has been into knives for many years now. I first got into knives when I was young and bought my first Kabar from Vietnam at an auction for $7.50. This began my obsession. I then got into metal work later in life as I currently work at a sign shop building custom signs out of Aluminum mainly for Denny's, Krispy Kreme, Cinnabon etc. I have a friend at work that is a real metal worker and owns a forge and anvil and has a bit of a shop set up for custom metal work.

I am looking for someone who is a skilled knife maker to take me under their wing and show me how to make a knife from start to finish. I would like to see several shops and talk to several people to try to get as much information and tips as possible so I can duplicate and evolve those methods into my own. I am mainly into fixed blade knives but anyone who is close to me that is a knife maker would be fine. I am a researcher and I have been into survival for the last 2 years. I have been learning all I can about different aspects of survival and some tactical applications as well.

I feel I am OCD enough and have a great eye and feel for this kind of work. I have worked on cars for years and also been working in various shops either in woodworking or carpentry or in the sign shop. To this day I have not yet built a knife. I wanted to first visit some shops and see how you guys do it and meld them into my own way of knife making. I am a researcher at heart so when I get into something I dive so far in I soak every bit of information up about the topic. I hope that some of you can work with me and find the time to show me your techniques. I am really excited about starting but i want to produce something quality so learning from professionals seems like the best way to go about it. Please e-mail, call or text me and we can figure out some time to get together.

I live in High Point, NC but I don't mind driving a couple hours to find a good knife maker to help guide me through this venture. If you are willing to do this please contact me. Thanks guys for reading and I hope you will consider taking me on as a protege. I would like to start right away and I will be signing up for the knifemaking classes when they come around in the fall. But until then I need someone to help guide me in the right direction. I have access to a number of good tools and have all the hand tools I believe are necessary for making a knife. I just want some guidance first. Thanks guys I hope we can become fast friends.

Email: Sky240det(at)gmail(dot)com
Cell: 336-858-8067

~Andrew Lockhart
Old 02-02-2014, 08:25 AM
Steel Addict

Andrew, if you have signed up for classes at Montgomery Community College you made the right first step. Basic Knifemaking with Travis Daniel will get you more info than you can absorb. I live in Troutman and don't consider myself advanced enough by any stretch to teach someone else. There are a lot of folks in your area. Visit the North Carolina Custom Knifemakers Guild page.

Robb
Old 02-02-2014, 12:20 PM
Registered

I'm alll over those books

I have been reading everything I can get my hands on. I have pdf books of the titles you listed along with about 15 others. I have read the 50 dollar knife making book and I am in the middle of Bob Loveless's book, How to make Knives. Like I said I am a researcher I read until there is nothing left. I plan on taking a class or two but that is a long ways away and I am going to make a knife before that happens, well I will try and probably make several. I just ordered 15 vintage assorted Nicholson files and Rasps that I and going to anneal and cut up. These will be my first knives.

I just was trying to look for someone with a shop you don't have to be a pro or anything just someone that is in the learning process as well or someone that is willing to share what they have learned so far. I would just like to meet some people in the business to throw around some ideas together. It doesn't have to be so formal. I mean hell just grab a beer with me a chat knives. That would be all I'm looking for and maybe showing me around a shop or two would be great. There is only so much you can learn by reading before you have to learn by doing.

~Andrew Lockhart
Old 02-03-2014, 07:30 AM
Hall of Famer

Andrew, Please come to the next Guild meeting. You will make a lifetime of contacts and a lot of new friends. Also some good makers. The guild has a lot of DVD's on different aspects of knife-making that you can sign out. we would love for you to come. The great part is you do not have to join the guild and no-one will pressure you to do so. to attend meetings. There is probably 2000 years of knife-making knowledge at any meeting. I would bet someone there can answer all your questions. We don't care if your a Master or a first timer, just bring your interest in knives and plan to have a great time. If I was physically able I would love to have you come to the shop. But as it is the Dr's have me grounded.

Tags
anvil, art, bee, blade, building, custom, fixed, fixed blade, forge, forging, hand, how to, how to make a knife, hunting knife, knife, knife making, knifemaking, knives, making, metal, survival, tactical, teach, tips, tools