MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:12 PM

E-120HP dispensers and tips...are they really needed?

Hello all, I am back after a break from knifemaking (my wife and I are proud new parents).

I have a quick question about E-120HP (by loctite/hysol). I found a place to purchase this in my city but i don't want to pay the $75+ for the dispenser gun and tips.

Are these really required to get the same great results? Has anyone had success without the dispenser and tips?

I remember seeing a post about a home-made dispenser, but I can't see the pictures, nor can I find the original post

Thanks in advance. If all goes well I will be testing it on 3 current scandi builds (antler/maple, antler/yew, antler/ebody)
Old 09-25-2013, 02:52 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

I don't use that particular epoxy so I'm not familiar with how it is packaged. I do use AcraGlas and it comes as a 2-part epoxy in two separate jars. The mixture for AcraGlas is 4:1 by volume and, to accomplish this, many of us use ordinary syringes purchased from feed stores or veterinary suppliers. You don't need the needles, only the plastic syringe bodies. They are very cheap and can be cleaned with acetone and re-used.

Would this work for your E-120HP?

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 09-25-2013, 03:54 PM
Hall of Famer

I use the West system epoxy and the resin, hardener ratio for the hardener that I use is 1:5 by volume or weight. I use a small electronic scale for the measuring. I zero a paper cup on the scales, pour out a little resin, calculate the proper amount of hardener, zero the scales again, measure out the hardener. I usually just dribble the hardener in off a popsickle stick because the volume is so small. All you need for your system is the proper ratio. Hopefully the manufacturer is not withholding that to force you to purchase measuring tips..

Doug

Tags
antler, back, e-120hp, e-60hp, epoxy, glue, gun, home, knifemaking, made, plastic, post, resin, scales, scandi, stick tang, tips