MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fine Embellishment

Fine Embellishment Everything from hand engraving and scrimshaw to filework and carving. The fine art end of the knifemaker's craft.

Old 02-12-2003, 05:21 PM
Steel Addict

Engraving a butt cap

I just received a commission to engrave an Elk head on a butt cap of a custom knife. I want to do this one under the scope. Any ideas for holding a fixed blade knife so it's butt cap can be engraved under a scope?

Thanks,

Tom
Old 02-12-2003, 08:45 PM
Guru

Hi Tom,

I'm not sure what vise set-up you use, but the best way I've found, (although it's make-shift), is to make an out-rigger holding fixture out of hardwood strips. It holds the knife by the blade, just forward of the guard, like a jewelers ring clamp. I tape everything up tight, and make it secure to the vise.
I've only had to use the clamp set-up once, for a large bowie knife. Awkward, but it worked.

I've heard of someone using a tube-like fixture that the blade can be slipped down into. It could be made as a tube that rotates within another cylinder.

Hope this helps, or at least gives you some ideas.

Let me know what you come up with.

Tim
Old 02-21-2003, 09:18 PM
Steel Addict

Tim,

Thanks for the input. Sorry for the sporadic appearances. I have one of those big vises with the head that rotates 360. I will probably clamp the knife in that, and just reposition it as necessary. I really like the tube idea, and several things suggest themselves to me, but my time is running out. This is one of those jobs that I am doing way too cheap just to be able to do it, since i seldom get guns or knives to engrave. On top of that, I don't have much time to do the job in.

Thanks again,

Tom

Tags
blade, fixed blade, hunting knife, knife, knives