MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Old 11-03-2004, 06:45 AM
Skilled

2nd forged knife

First, I would like to repeat the title and state again that this is only my second forged knife.
I forged this knife at the ABS school during the "intro" class, where my forge partner was Chris Diagle.

Sorry about the photo, I'm going to have to work on that.

The Blade is 5160 with a blade length of 5 inches, a oblong guard and a stabilized maple handle that I mortised into the tang.

Any comments (positive or negative) are welcome !!!!

http://www.geocities.com/taylorhandm...s/Johnston.jpg
Old 11-03-2004, 11:32 AM
Enthusiast

I think this will show it. Again awesome knife!!! You and Clayton do good work. Take care Brother

Last edited by Nathan Taylor; 11-03-2004 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Forgot message
Old 11-03-2004, 12:01 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
Nice one!

Old 11-03-2004, 10:54 PM
Guru

That is a great first forged knife!! Looks like a great user!!
Old 11-04-2004, 12:26 PM
Skilled

Send a message via ICQ to sjaqua
Well beside forging, you clearly have all the other knife making skills well in hand. While I would like to see more of the blade, what I can see in the photo looks great.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The most important right of all, is that of Free Speech. With out that, all your other rights will soon be taken away. So, I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend until death, your right to say it!
Old 11-09-2004, 04:49 PM
Skilled

OK, OK !!!
Scott I'm in the process of taking a better photo of the blade.

One of these days I'm going to learn how to make a knife and take great pic's but until then I'll just keep plodding along making KSO's (knife shaped objects). :cool:
Old 11-09-2004, 04:55 PM
Living Legend

That is great work for a second forged blade. Looks like you put in the necessary effort ! I am not entirely excited about the handle shape, but that is simply my personal taste and not really the point of your post. Keep up the good work, and hope to see more of these from you. Jason.

(Matthew 10.16)
Old 11-09-2004, 05:21 PM
Skilled

Well Jason, Talk to me that's why I put it up there.
Of the 260 that viewed the thread you are one of only a handful that has said anything.

So let's here it, brother !!
Old 11-09-2004, 07:09 PM
Living Legend

beebee58, again this is at risk of simply telling you what I personally prefer... Again, its no reflection on the fact you did a great job.

I think the slender dog=bone style handle shape doesn't go quite as well with a broad, beefy blade like that. So a taller handle size would suit it better. I suppose I generally don't like handles that are skinny anyway. I also prefer a handle that broadens to the buttend with a bit of drop in the top of the handle at the rear (I find this to be a bit more comfortable too.) Those 2 factors will also avoid the straight lines on the handle. A little curvature gives it a much sexier look... if you know what I mean.

If you like this "French Trapper's" handle with a "ball" at the end of the handle, I suppose, the "ball" needs to be more well defined. Raymond Richard does that style of knife very well indeed and its worth searching for some of his posts to see how he executes the shapes and lines on the handles.

The third point is that I was always taught that the handle needs to have some sort of contrasting spacer at the front just behind the guard. Its provides a visual separator to define the lines of the handle.

Hope this helps. Again, to say, its got nothing to do with your knife. Just a few of my personal thoughts out loud. Jason.

(Matthew 10.16)
Old 11-10-2004, 05:10 AM
Skilled

Jason, Thanks for the thoughts.
I enjoyed reading about your differant views, it was "food for thought".

I made this knife for my son and will most likely give it to him for Christmas. I have another one already forged and ground out that I'm going to make for my other son. I will do some looking around and see what other styles of handles and guards I like.

Again, Thanks for the input !!!!!
Old 11-10-2004, 06:25 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jack OBrien Send a message via Yahoo to Jack OBrien
This being one of the rare occasions when I get a chance to fire up this ####ed puter I am glad it was tonite and I saw your blade,.
All I can do is reiterate Jasons views Bloody fine looking blade tho. I also agree with jason on the thoughts if a spacer between handle and hilt for better definition. Maybe a crown stag would lend itself as a handle to give a bit of textural contrast to the over all look And most of the crowns i have used have a natural curvature as well . As jason said the curvature on the back of the handle gives a more natural grip anatomically
But a ####ed fione effort overall Cant wait to see the next one for the other boy

Jack

Tags
blade, forging, knife, knife making