MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:24 AM
Enthusiast

Hollow grind problems

Hi to all.
I'm just getting into this craft, and have just finished my third knife, a parer (I'm a chef, and only really have interest in kitchen cutlery) The problem is that my grinder is very small, due to a limited budget, and all the decent hollow grinds I've seen are made on big wheels as far as I can see.
My question is, is there a way to hollow grind with this little wheel, or will they be too concave? Would I be better off with a flat grind, which is tricky for a noob like me?

With a bit of jiggery pokery I can adjust the angle to work for me, but before I start getting frustrated, it would be great to have some advice on this.
Cheers
Ollie

Old 02-28-2012, 06:25 AM
Steel Addict

Ollie,
First let me welcome you to the world of knifemaking. The grinder that you show would be more suited to flat grinding your knives as it is a drive wheel and does not have any rubber cushion present. This covering is needed to produce the finish and consistency you are after. It may be possible to have it covered and balanced. Hope this helps

[IMG]Click for information...[/IMG]
http://bradjohnsonknives.blademakers.com/
Old 02-28-2012, 06:47 AM
Guru

Brad is right on about your grinder but most kitchen cutlery is flat ground and you will get the hang of it with practice.

One thing that I noticed about your grinder as well was the existing platen. I believe that before getting too serious about flat grinding that I would recommend adding some additional thickness to it. Put a piece of 1/4" steel on the platen for rigidity and even better, add some 1/4" pyroceram (high temp glass) on top of the steel. I believe that you will find that it will make a huge difference.

Good luck & welcome aboard.

Gary

Old 02-28-2012, 08:49 AM

pyroceram

I have searched all suppliers I know of and can't find Pyroceram.
Any one know where it is available?
Thanks.
Bill

Ringtail knives
Old 02-28-2012, 08:52 AM
Guru

Most glass or stove retailers will either have it or have access to it.

Gary

Old 02-28-2012, 09:07 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Pyroceram is the glass you see in stove doors, highly heat and impact resistant. You can also order it online from Darren Ellis, he sells forge equipment and related items.

I agree with the others that you probably want to stay with flat grinds since your interest is with kitchen cutlery only. I can't think of any high quality kitchen knives that are hollow ground and there is a good reason for that. Hollow ground knives can be very sharp but they don't slice through firm materials such as a potato as well as a flat blade would. You're making a very thin cut and the trying to push a much wider blade through it by the time you get to the back of the blade.

Be sure to look up the threads where we have discussed the best ways to mount that pyroceram when you get it. Done wrong, it can be very dangerous ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 02-28-2012, 09:30 AM
Hall of Famer

Just and update. Darren Ellis sold his business a little while back because he and his wife found that they no longer had the time it took to run it. The new outfit, actually new name, is Hight Temperature Tools and Refractory. I know that Darren set up a link to take you to the new site but I'm not sure if that is still up.

Doug

Old 02-28-2012, 12:02 PM
Enthusiast

Thankyou all for the info. Now I know what those wheels with rubber on that I saw in the abrasives shop were for!
I am happy to try for flat grinds, and the platen is a temporary one because the one that came with the machine was a ridiculous little thing.
I'll bear the advice in mind.

Tags
art, blade, cutlery, forge, grinding, knife, knifemaking, knives, mount, steel