MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 09-05-2003, 11:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gary W. Graley
Lightbulb CRKT Dog canted sheath

Here is a canted sheath just finished up for a fellow in the midwest, wanted the Skull and Cross bones on the front but decided to go with this embossing which worked out great, very deeply embossed with lots of good detail...and then I surprised him by also embossing the Skull and Cross bones on the back side of the sheath, on the belt loop, came out nice as well for the rough side of leather, gave the Skull a real texture!

Knife was actually pretty well done and quite rugged!

Thanks again to Jamey Saunders for hosting this and the other images on his web site, as Yahoo doesn't allow for hyper links to images so I was stuck...
G2
Old 09-06-2003, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

As I noted in Gary's other post in my opinion he is THE MASTER of folder sheaths and here is the proof. Kudos for an excellent example of your fine work.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 09-06-2003, 12:30 PM

Thanks Chuck for the welcome, I've had others that I've helped that worried that I'd be upset if they started taking orders for folder sheaths but I told them please...no worries at all, there's no way I could ever do all and it's very good to share ideas and to get others to build the passion up for working with leather so I'm glad to see more guys/gals taking up needle and thread and start into it!

I've an aversion to fixed blades, not exactly sure why, but this niche seems made for me and I like making the folder sheaths. Right now I'm working on one for a butterfly knife with HUGE horns that made my normal horizontal sheaths not work right, so I'm experimenting with a clam shell type sheath and then wrap a section of leather around the whole package and stitch along the bottom edge so then, he can wear he either with left hand draw or right hand draw, cross your fingers all and wish me luck...
G2
Old 09-06-2003, 03:56 PM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
Re: CRKT Dog canted sheath

Quote:
Originally posted by Gary W. Graley
Thanks again to Jamey Saunders for hosting this and the other images on his web site, as Yahoo doesn't allow for hyper links to images so I was stuck...
G2
No problem. Glad to help.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 09-06-2003, 10:36 PM

Bravo Zulu shipmate As Chuck sez, the Master o' the Folder Sheaths !!
As I've mentioned before on this Forum, and elsewhere, I'm one of the guys that Gary has been so gracious to help over the past several years. It's always been in a spirit of support, never as competitors but as friends and fellow leathermen.
Thanks again buddy -- now if you'd just turn that sucker over so I could steal some belt-loop ideas
Mike

Old 09-06-2003, 10:57 PM

Keep the Belt loop up, stitch down to near the bottom
then, PULL the thread back out to the front, now,
fold the belt loop down, first rough up the leather with sand paper so the glue will adhere, then glue in place.
Now take an awl and punch the holes through the sheath, pull the one thread back through the hole to the back side
and continue on stitching.

Here is a Case Slipjoint that I made for myself, which was a trick to get the time to do! Very nice knife btw!!!

You can just see where the stitching starts again near the bottom of the sheath.

here's the back side of that sheath...

Questions just give me a holler!
G2
Old 09-10-2003, 06:51 AM
Enthusiast

Ok I'm late to the party as usual.
I'm another that Gary has gone out of his way to teach and help, especially when he used to be able to take phone calls at work
I've also gotten help and adcive from Chuck,Sandy,DC, and just about everyone else. Sheathmakers are some of the nicest and sharingest people around. Thank you all.

PS-Gary, I sure hope the guy with the CRKT Dog is in the Army.

Phil. 4:13

Never mistake kindness for weakness.

Lifter's Leather

Recommended by Lifter: www.customknives.com/jonesbrothers
Old 09-10-2003, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lifter
...PS-Gary, I sure hope the guy with the CRKT Dog is in the Army.
I do believe he was, as that was his choice and his wife's, he really wanted the Skull and Cross bones but his wife held sway over his best interests, public appearances and such things, so I embossed the back side for him which he emailed that he really appreciated

That was the first time using that embossing stamp, thanks to John W. aka Vegas Henchman, who sent it out to me...thanks again sir!
G2
Old 09-13-2003, 12:48 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to John T Wylie Jr
anytime sir.... Glad you got to use it. About time I go pick out a few more for you eh ??

time for a Vegas care package ??

Old 12-16-2003, 12:48 PM
Skilled

How did you get such a nice crease in the leather?
Old 12-17-2003, 08:15 PM

Location: Blairsville--in the beautiful Appalachian mountains of North Georgia.
Gary, my friend---Your folder pouches are on a level of their own and we, who are familiar with your work, always want to see MORE! You mentioned how gracious that Jamey has been---Well, he comes from Georgia-- What more needs to be said? LOL ---Sandy

Tags
balisong, blade, butterfly knife, knife