MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Heat Treating and Metallurgy

Heat Treating and Metallurgy Discussion of heat treatment and metallurgy in knife making.

Old 06-28-2004, 09:11 AM
Steel Addict

ED and others,

My comments regarding 800,000 lbs of steel are somewhat tongue in cheek. If the raw materials are dedicated to keeping the larger customers up and running. I should have said expect a long long wait. Low to High carbon steels are getting difficult to find. Stainless steel seems less affected. The industry has changed in the last 6 months. We are having great difficulty getting steel as with many others. Many Steel companies are booked thru the middle of next year and that production is essentially sold. We are quoted prices good for 24hrs. Its not just steel either, the larger readi-mix and concrete operations have been placed on Cement rations. I'm told China has quit importing Cement to the US.

As far as 1095 is concerned SAE 1090 the Mn is between .6-.9 and SAE 1095 the Mn is .3-.5 the 1084 and 1086 have similar differences. The kicker is a single piece of steel could be either. It would be interesting to know if one is more troublesome than others. I have noticed springs made from carbon steel with higher Mn upwards of .9-1.3 I suspect Si also plays a role as well. There are some ASTM specifications for materials used in springs. I don't have them at hand.
Anyone by chance tried the Chromium-Vanadium alloy spring steels ( Cr 1; V .2; C .6 ) or ( Ni .5; Cr .5; Mo .2; C .6 ) or silicon-manganese ( Si 2; Mn 1 )
Old 07-02-2004, 10:53 AM
Skilled

To the original subject of the thread, I bacame aware of this A-36 issue some time back and have ahd to be very careful to specify 1018 when ordering materials for my testing and special projects. It is good to bring this to the attention of others Ed.
Old 07-02-2004, 01:16 PM
Steel Addict

I too would be interested in going in on a custom order. And I'll agree that 7,000 lbs is not a lot. It's small to a steel company, and it won't look as big a pile as most of us imagine when it's a pile sitting on a trailer. I learn that every time I visit the scrap yard and have to weigh the meager pile that I load up. I still do more - a lot more - general smithing than blades, but as I do more and more, I'm amazed at the quantities, both volume and weight, that I use. I buy more feet of stock than I would have imagined only a year ago, and I'm consistently surprised by how small the pile is sitting on the trailer, and by how much the stuff weighs.

All that to say that I'd be interested in participating if we ever do get together a big group order. I'm not picky about stock size, either. Offhand I'd say 1/2 and 5/8 round, and 1/4x1, 1/4x3/4 would be my first choices. But I'd also imagine that 1/4 or 5/16 by 1-1/2 or 2 might be popular with the crowd?

Steve

Old 07-02-2004, 03:19 PM

I get all of my steel from Admiral and it has worked out fine.While the various 10xx series steel doesn't always fall within the official specs ie, the 1080 I've been getting specs at .72%C at least they provide a spec sheet with every order

Old 07-02-2004, 04:02 PM
Steel Addict

Howard Clark did order a custom batch of 1086M a while back. I too believe that bladesmiths should pull their resources and order a batch.

Old 07-03-2004, 05:22 PM
Steel Addict

Awol A36

I just typed out a LONG reply to Ed about A36. I was the Chief Metallurgist for a small steel mill and commented about why A36 is the way it is. However, during my long reply, I become UN-LOGGED IN.....my lengthy reply was lost.

I have quickly tired of being booted out after logging in to every forum. I think I gotta go with Jim Hrisoulis and bid theforum a fond fairwell.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:30 AM
Registered

A36 steel

I am a maker of martial arts weapons. I have been using A36 for many items that I produce commercially. I was told that it has the same properties as 1018. Not knowing I accepted this as truth. Until I came across this posting. Can someone please share with me the hardening capabilities of A36 vs 'real' 1018?
Now I am in a heated argument with my supplier about this. Is there any source on the net or expert that would be willing to forward me information regarding A36? I am upset because I am afraid that this may affect the quality of what I produce commerically and that is my reputation which is very good among my customers. My supplier will be happy to sell me another type of steel and I will happy to use it providing it has the qualities I seek. I would prefer that someone please contact me via email at green27712@yahoo.com to pass along sources of the info that I have seen here.

Thanks!

Ed Green
Budo Weapons.

Tags
blade, forge, forging, knife, knives