MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Organizations and Club Boards > Georgia Knifemaker's Guild

Georgia Knifemaker's Guild The Georgia Knifemaker's Guild. Furthering and fostering the passion of knives, knifemaking, and related interests

Old 04-21-2005, 09:20 PM

May Meeting Details

Hello everyone,

We are just around the corner from the spring meeting of the Georgia Custom Knifemakers' Guild. Below is information on the meeting and directions. This meeting is being held in conjunction with the spring hammer-in at Trackrock. If you have never been to Trackrock, this would be the right time to come and enjoy the beauty of the North Georgia Mountains and have a great time learning about knives, knifemaking and blacksmithing. Carl has put together another fun and full day of items to help each of us hone our skills.
The lunch menu will be barbecue. Carl has made arrangements to have this catered. If you know you are coming please send Carl an e-mail him so he can let the cook know what to expect. Of course, as always, if you decide at the last minute, come and don't worry that you did not get hold of Carl, I have never known southern hospitality to run short. Carl's e-mail address is crex@yahoo.com

May is also the month for dues to be paid. I will be sending statements to our membership next week. You can mail your check to the address that will be on the statement or bring your check to the Trackrock meeting.

Many of you have often asked when the Guild would be sponsoring a custom knife show. Just to give you a little preview, this very item is being explored. The Flint River Knife Club, The Chattahoochee Knife Club, and The Georgia Custom Knifemakers' Guild are exploring the possibility of making a custom show become a reality. You will want to be at the meeting to hear the details and plans thus far. John, the Board of Directors and I are very excited for the three groups to pull together and make this happen.

We hope to see all of you at TrackRock

May Meeting of the GCKG

TrackRock Campground
Blairsville, GA
May 21, 2005

8:30 a.m. Director?s Meeting

9:30 a.m. Smithing Safety

10:15 a.m. Blacksmith Knife Demo
Carl Rechsteiner & Co.

12:00 Lunch

1:15 p.m. Iron In The Hat

1:45 p.m. Sheath Making
Sandy Morrissey

3:00 p.m. Open House ? forging for those who want to try their hand at it

Directions to TrackRock Campgrounds
www.trackrock.com
706-745-2420

From I-75
Take I-575 North. I-575 ends and becomes APD515. At the intersection of US 19/129 and APD515 to Blairsville, continue going straight 6.4 miles. You will see a BP gas station/convenience store on the left. Slow down. Take your next right onto Trackrock Gap Road, go 2.8 miles, then turn left on Trackrock Church Road. Go 1.1 miles and turn left at our entrance sign.

From GA 400

Take GA400 North to Dahlonega. From Dahlonega take US Hwy 19 North. Continue on US19 North to Highway 180 East. Turn right on highway 180 East and follow for 2.3 miles. Then turn left on Town Creek School Road. Go 2.1 miles, hen right at Trackrock Church Road. Go 1.9 miles and our entrance will be on the right.

From I-85

Take I-985 North. Get off at Exit 24. Turn left off ramp and follow U.S. Hwy 129 North towards Cleveland. Continue on US 129 North to Hwy 180 East. Turn right on Hwy 180 East and follow for 2.3 miles. Then turn left on Town Creek School Road. Go 2.1 miles, then right at Trackrock Church Road. Go 1.9 miles and our entrance will be on the right.

From Augusta:

Take I-20 North to Thompson. Take the Hwy 17 Exit. Follow Hwy 17 past Helen. Turn left of Hwy 180. Turn right on Town Creek Road. Turn right on Trackrock Church Road. Entrance will be on the right.

Last edited by mrsjoan; 04-21-2005 at 09:25 PM.
Old 04-23-2005, 07:22 AM

Hey Folks,
Bet you thought it'd never get here! The Guild membership is growing and we have some very talented people in the group. You really miss out when you don't attend the meetings. The Board trys very hard to make each meeting interesting and educational. It's your Guild so if there's is something that you are interested in or just wonder "how'd they do that?" speak up. We'll do our best to get it in front of you.

The May meeting will be catered and I will need a strong head count by the end of this month. I feel it's only fair that the caterer has a chance to be properly prepared with supplies. It's alot of work so please be considerate.

Be sure to title your email subject with something like "Guild Meeting", "Hammer-in", or "Trackrock".
I do not open any untitled emails for the obvious reasons.

Anyone planning to participate or try their hand at bladesmithing will need supply their own safety equipment/clothing such as gloves, shoes, and safety glasses. I do have a few extra aprons.

NO SAFETY GLASSES.........NO FORGE TIME!!!

I do not recommend smithing in shorts.
See you there!

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 04-23-2005, 10:46 PM
Skilled

any particular type of safety glasses you recommend? how about gloves, cotton or leather welding type? I am hoping to be able to make this one and maybe even stay long enough to do some hammerin this time
Old 04-24-2005, 06:25 AM

Terry,
Be good to see you again. More concerned about impact from flying particles and objects. So they need to be inpact rated with good coverage characteristics (goggle or almost goggle wrap-around style so stuff can't get past them to your eye). These are the kind you should be wearing in your knifemaking activities all the time regardless. I usually opt for those with the USB and USV highest ratings because I am looking into the forge quite a bit. Read your labels they are not hard to find at a good hardware store. Unless you are planning on doing alot of fire gawking, I wouldn't go with anything heavily tinted.
For welding work in a forge is a different animal and you definitely need to look into highly tinted welding rated lenses to protect your eyes. The IR raditions alone will burn your eyes. Lot more to it than that, but that's the gist of it.

Gloves are of your own choosing and comfort level. I wear "box handler" style gloves (have the little rubber patches on the palm and fingers, and fit very snug) for a better hammer grip/control when I know I'm going to be forging several hours. Reduces hand fatigue for me. I wear a welding glove on my left hand when welding just to handle the tongs. They get pretty hot pretty quick.

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Last edited by Crex; 04-24-2005 at 06:33 AM.
Old 04-24-2005, 12:55 PM
Skilled

Hi all!

Boy have I been looking forward to this meeting. Now I really hope I can make it. I'm going to have foot surgery on the 6th and am really hoping I am fit enough to travel by the end of the month. Carl, I've really been wanting to see what kind of trouble we can get into. I have an idea for a little demo that I'll email you about.

Terry, I just use regular lether work gloves usually with a cuff for a little wrist protection. Anything much heavier just seems to get in the way and then cast aside.

Hope to see everyone there.

Carey

You are cordially invited to check out my web site:
Handmade Knives by Carey Quinn
Old 04-24-2005, 08:49 PM

I hope everything goes well with your foot Carey. I'd hate for you to miss out on some fun and fellowship. Makes for a great getaway weekend. We can make you pretty comfortable even if it's not fully healed. Drop me an E when you get the chance.

Isa. 54:16

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 04-27-2005, 05:08 PM
Skilled

Crex are there going to be any Handle mounting demos or anything at TrackRock?
Old 04-27-2005, 09:00 PM

Not one planned Terry, but I'm sure you can get plenty of pointers for the asking. Bring samples of any problem areas you have with handles and I'll hook you up with some folks who can help. There'll be plenty of talented makers on hand.
So you're planning on coming up?

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 04-27-2005, 09:04 PM
Skilled

Hoping to make it and hoping to spend more time there than before. I am hoping to actually do some hammering this time

Tags
forge, forging, knives