MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > This Old Knife

This Old Knife Here is a little forum dedicated to talking about, but not limited to, vintage and antique knives. Pics and stories of special knives or your favorite patterns are encouraged. No experts here. Just guys chattin about old knives and the legends we hav

Old 07-21-2006, 09:08 AM

Interesting..... After the auction was over I got a suspicious e-mail from someone purporting to be the seller of this Moran blade offering it to me for what I'd bid saying the original winner of the auction couldn't complete the purchase. I'm not that active on eBay but I seemed to remember being cautioned in the past about this kind of thing so I went to the eBay site, read the 'rules' and other info on avoiding getting scammed, followed their instructions and forwarded the e-mail I'd received without adding or changing anything directly to the eBay security team.

NOW - have I blown my opportunity to own this Moran blade twice? Or... was this a scam nipped in the bud?

Avatar ~ custom crank case cover from 1969 Harley shovelhead chopper
Old 07-21-2006, 02:52 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
Not nessesarily. If it is a real Ebay second chance offer, the email will have come thru Ebay and is under ebay protection. Ebay should contact you shortly to confirm if it is legit. The email should have come with the sellers ebay name. If so it would not hurt to express some interest with a return email thru ebay. I am in the middle of a similar transaction.

In high ticket items, using an escrow service would seem wise, even on an upfront looking high bidder sale.

Last edited by hammerdownnow; 07-21-2006 at 02:55 PM.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:03 PM

I'd be suspicious too. You were the third highest bidder, not the second. Did the second guy get the first right of refusal, or did everyone get the scam?

The price was ripe for a scammer.....

Cop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 07-21-2006, 05:47 PM
Hall of Famer

Buddy, Buddy, Buddy, go for it. Life is short, and we're a long time gone. Please send the gentleman his money and have him drop ship the knife to me. It's ok, the knife is fine. If, later on, I have it appraised, and it turns out to be a fake, we can all have a good laugh

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 07-21-2006, 06:25 PM
Hall of Famer

With friends like Robert, who needs ebay scammers?

Even with all the shisters on ebay, I have met some really nice people on there. Met some really knowlegable knife nuts who are willing to share it.

Last edited by hammerdownnow; 07-21-2006 at 06:34 PM.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:57 AM

After submitting the e-mail to eBay I got a 'form letter' reply thanking me and referring me to some other general links with info about scamming etc. I haven't yet received a formal reply that this was or was not legit. I'll continue to wait and see if eBay responds further.

Old 07-22-2006, 07:00 PM
Hall of Famer

The temptation to throw caution to the wind can sometimes be overwhelming. You are going about it the right way. Being teased like that has its own special knife in the gut twist. My deal will be a loss of only a hundred, but could net a potental 500-1000 if it goes right. Still agonizing. Waiting on his son to get back from a trip to yea or neigh. Starting to wonder if it is just a carrot dangling.

Old 07-22-2006, 07:15 PM
Hall of Famer

In all seriousness, I don't have good feelings about this transaction. I hope you don't indeed lose a valuable knife, on the other hand I surely don't want you to lose any money to a scammer. Seems like he was trying to see who the top few bidders were, and is probably working on a couple of them. Anyway to contact any of the other bidders? Of course they could be in on the deal to I guess.
Personally, I'd have to bow out.

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 07-22-2006, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdownnow
My deal will be a loss of only a hundred, but could net a potental 500-1000 if it goes right. Still agonizing. Waiting on his son to get back from a trip to yea or neigh. Starting to wonder if it is just a carrot dangling.
Huh? I'm not following this course of events. What deal are you talking about?

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 07-22-2006, 08:42 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpByCoop
Huh? I'm not following this course of events. What deal are you talking about?

Coop
Actually both, you and Buddy. My last message on the forum was just some concern for what he may or may not do. I've been tormenting (teasing) him about buying that Moran, but I finally threw the towel in and decided that he'd get burned, but I'm sure he knows the odds.
Now on yours, I don't know. I've been involved in those kinds of deals a 100 times, where I was waiting for a family member to "bless" the event and give an ok to sell, makes me nervous as heck, if I'm really wanting the item. You just have to wait it out and keep your fingers X'ed. I didn't know you had a KMG! I'd love to see what kind of style/pattern you'd come up with, seeing as how you've been exposed to 100's of knives at your fingertips, and still have them on record. A little of this one, some of that one, would be one heck of a knife

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 07-22-2006, 09:02 PM
Hall of Famer

In post #17 I said I was in the middle of a similar transaction. Not as high dollar and slightly different.

The winner of the knife in my case, did so on his sons account that they share. The son did not like the one the old man bought and had his eye on a nice shiney one. I was second in line so the OM sent me an offer to buy it for what I bid so he can use the money to buy the shiney one. his son is out of town and he waits for his return to ok it. As it sits he says he will send me the knife for inspection before I send the money.

Because of all of us posting warnings and teaching each other to be wary(thank you all) I am half expecting an email saying he needs the money right away for an emergency or some other such thing.

Robt., I was referring to the guy with the Moran being the one teaseing. Your good nature ribbing gives me a chuckle and I am sure it does Buddy also. As a matter of fact, I would be willing to act as escrow for you two and have the knife sent to me for inspection.

Old 07-22-2006, 09:10 PM
Hall of Famer

Time for Coop to drege up some of those knife kits he put together and post the pics again. He did some fantastic fit and finish on them. Top ten in all the kits I have seen pics of. If he ever gets the time, No doubt he can make that KMG sing.

I am putting the cart before the horse, but I was thinking of getting some shots of the knife I am buying taken. A historial piece. Not the Huber tho, not that old.

Last edited by hammerdownnow; 07-22-2006 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:23 PM

Off on a tangent...

Thanks Roc. Yup, I've done a few kits.

My KMG has gound one blade to the point of having it heat treated and now it needs a second grind. I've been working on it since 2002. No rush.... I will say it is a delight to lok at.

I have over 200 A+ experiences (zero negs) with eBay and the people involved. Watch your back, though.

Coop

Old 07-23-2006, 07:18 PM

AaaaRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! I just got the official eBay 'second chance' offer on the Moran knife. I'm having second thoughts and I'm feeling terrible confusion. BUT.... I know who to call for advice. I'll be back in a bit with more of AS THE WORLD TURNS - or, as 'my attractive wife' laughingly says..."Buddy's World."

Old 07-23-2006, 07:44 PM
Hall of Famer

Boy Howdy I was hoping this would happen! I'll PM my address to you for the shipment ol friend!
RH

Hensarling Custom Knives

Tags
blade, knife, knives