MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 04-09-2016, 10:29 PM

Damascus Hunter

Not sure if I still belong in the newbie area, but since this is only my 7th knife, and I'm still a greenhorn, I think I'll post this here.

A buddy of mine wanted me to make him a "Jeep" knife, since we're both Jeep guys. The sale fell through right after I started because he lost his job and I didn't feel right taking any money from him, but since I had already started it, I decided to finish it, and maybe I can sell it to some other Jeep lover.

Its made with some leaf springs out of my Jeep and 15n20, and then I did it san mai style with a 1080 core for the cutting edge.

Total layer count is 283. 9" overall length. Blade is just under 5"
The handle scales are tiger wood

This is my first sheath too. I think it came out pretty good for my first one.
I also really worked hard on learning some photo techniques and am much happier with how these pictures came out compared to my earlier ones.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-10-2016, 09:37 AM
Steel Addict

Looks great. And that's a sheath any experienced leather worker would be proud of. Outstanding for your first one!!
Old 04-10-2016, 05:53 PM
Guru

Looks very good.

Nice knife and the sheath is great. You only made one mistake with your sheath, if mistake you can call it. The belt flap has the rough inside of the leather showing instead of the smooth side. I presume you wanted the back of the sheath smooth? If you have a skiving knife (about $9 at Tandy) skive the edge of the belt flap on the rough side to about 1/32" and bend it forward instead of back. The edge must be either skived or sanded down to a thin edge so the knife doesn't catch on it and stitch the edge vertically and low enough where you can't see it. A leather expert at Tandy Leather store in OKC showed me that little tip if you don't want the rough side of the leather on the back of the sheath. What did you finish the leather with if I may ask?

That leather expert at Tandy was very helpful, his name is Wayne and since I haven't lived in OKC since 1998 I don't know if he is still there. The Tandy website has a bunch of short helpful videos for a lot of different things. He especially pointed out some inexpensive leather crafting books. A small book about stitching and sewing was very good. Looks like you got the sewing part down. Very good stitchwork there. Your border tooling is immaculate. I have to warn you though, if you get good at leather folks are going to want you to make them things. If you're married expect to learn how to make a cell phone case/wallet and other things lol.

Last edited by jimmontg; 04-10-2016 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:25 PM
Skilled

Love that steel. ...and the sheath. Beautiful.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!
Old 04-11-2016, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmontg View Post
Nice knife and the sheath is great. You only made one mistake with your sheath, if mistake you can call it. The belt flap has the rough inside of the leather showing instead of the smooth side. I presume you wanted the back of the sheath smooth? If you have a skiving knife (about $9 at Tandy) skive the edge of the belt flap on the rough side to about 1/32" and bend it forward instead of back. The edge must be either skived or sanded down to a thin edge so the knife doesn't catch on it and stitch the edge vertically and low enough where you can't see it. A leather expert at Tandy Leather store in OKC showed me that little tip if you don't want the rough side of the leather on the back of the sheath. What did you finish the leather with if I may ask?

That leather expert at Tandy was very helpful, his name is Wayne and since I haven't lived in OKC since 1998 I don't know if he is still there. The Tandy website has a bunch of short helpful videos for a lot of different things. He especially pointed out some inexpensive leather crafting books. A small book about stitching and sewing was very good. Looks like you got the sewing part down. Very good stitchwork there. Your border tooling is immaculate. I have to warn you though, if you get good at leather folks are going to want you to make them things. If you're married expect to learn how to make a cell phone case/wallet and other things lol.
Thanks for all of the pointers. I understand what you're saying and think I will give that a shot on my next one. Working on the next knife now, so looking forward to trying it.

As for finishing, a friend of mine at work gave me a big tub of scrap leather pieces, some leather tools, and a couple of cans of dye, that his father used before passing away last fall. I can't tell you what brand as the labels have long since worn away. I'd say it smells exactly like the wood stain I use, and have a dozen cans of in different colors, but I haven't done any research on it. My friend said that is what his father used, and I've seen a lot of his work, and it is top notch, so figured I could go to wrong.

Once it was all formed and dry, and went over it with a light coating of mink oil, and then a very light coating of some type of wax. I'm at work and don't remember the brand name, but again, it came in the tub of stuff. I'm just learning about the leather stuff, so was really just trying not to screw up. I just followed the steps my friend gave me of how his father usually did things for darker leather. Don't know if it was right, wrong, or indifferent, but I rather like the color and hope it will last.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:43 PM
Guru

Looks like you did a fine job on the finish. Try different things with scrap and see how it works. My first sheath I ever made I waterproofed with gun stock wax on the inside and I finished the outside like I did my combat boots in the Army. The little flat cans of shoe wax melted with a candle. I used brown and worked it in and it worked just fine.

The mink oil is good stuff even though it's old. Be sure and write the colors that you get from cans without labels. Plus you can thin stains out as well. You probably have some of the old Fiebings leather finishing stuff. It's still around. Some is oil based and flammable so be careful. Tandy still sells it. I don't know if you can mix the Eco Flo stuff with the Fiebings stuff.
Tandy's has some stuff called Eco-Flo Super Shene and the stains will not stain where it is applied first. So look it up and watch the videos where they use it. You can call Tandy and ask.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:13 AM
Master

I prefer the rough look on the inside of the sheath.......nice job
don't be to concerned about advancing out of the newbie area section,
just keep making nice knives and fine sheaths !!
nice combo, well done.....

Old 04-12-2016, 07:18 PM

Your 7th knife? You got some skills my man! You can only go up from here. I really like your finish on the sheath, and the handle shape looks really comfortable as well. Congrats on a very nice looking package.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:12 AM
Steel Addict

Good looking knife.

Tags
blade, brand, damascus, edge, handle, handle scales, horn, how to, hunter, knife, knives, leather, made, make, newbie, post, sale, scales, sell, sheath, steel, store, wax