MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 09-16-2017, 04:32 PM
Steel Addict

brass pin for friction folder pivot. How to attach?

Hello again

I see a lot of people use screws for their folder pivots, but i dont have any right now and would like the clean look of a pin as my pivot.

But now i'm realising i have no clue how to attach the pivit pin?
If i use epoxy, i'm afraide it will glue the blade in place also. I hear about peening, but i only have regular hammmers and nothing like an anvil, and im not even sure you can peen a pivot pin?

Do you have any sugestions how i go about this?

Thanks

Rasmus
Old 09-16-2017, 04:48 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Peening would be the usual method but you can easily over do it and lock up the blade. Peening takes lots of practice so its a good idea to make up some dummy pieces to test your skills on.

You'll need to cut the brass to where about a millimeter of brass sticks out on each side of the knife. Find some scrap steel to use as an anvil and a ball peen hammer. You also need a set of spark plug gap gauges - get the flat steel kind, not the wire kind.

Take one of the gauges that is maybe .003" thin, cut a slot in the end so that the gauge can be slipped between the blade and the handle and around the pivot. Hopefully, having the gauge in there will help you to not pinch the knife shut. Use the ball end of the hammer to lightly tap the pivot a few times, turn the knife over and do the other side. Keep going, side to side until it seems firm enough. Pull out the gauge and hopefully the knife will work.

Be careful not to hit too hard or too long - if you keep going after the parts are snugged up or if you hit too hard you may bend the pivot. If you bend the pivot you'll need to drill it out and start over.

If you countersink the pivot hole very slightly before you start peening the pin material will spread out and fill the countersink (hopefully). This makes it easier to sand the bolsters down later and blend the pins into the bolsters.

Don't forget to practice first! Good luck ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 09-17-2017, 12:10 PM
Steel Addict

Hi Ray

Thank you for the description. I have tried some times on a test blank now, and I think i'm ready to try on my folder.
When you countersink, is it better to use a real counterink og just a slighly larger drill?
How tight a fit should i aim for? Is it important that the knife can stay open by itself?
Old 09-17-2017, 01:43 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Countersink with a drill will work fine just don't overdo it. On a friction folder the blade should not stay open by itself (at least I haven't seen one made that way) , that's what the extended tang is for. The fit should be as close as possible while still allowing the blade to move freely ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Tags
anvil, blade, brass, clean, drill, epoxy, folder, forge, friction folder, glue, hammer, handle, how to, knife, lock, material, pins, pivot, pivots, sand, screws, steel