MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 02-14-2017, 04:18 PM

binding post fastener

I'm looking at attaching knife scales to the blank using binding post fasteners, (I think that is what they are called) I know they are offered in several kits. I can't find any place to purchase a few without paying exorbitant shipping prices. Any suggestions? Ideally I would like several sizes both length and post diameter to fit into different situations. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:23 PM
Guru

never heard of them, maybe they go by different names??? you have a link to one?
Old 02-14-2017, 04:41 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

You mean Loveless bolts, or Corby bolts (I'd suggest the Loveless). Any knife supplier would carry them. Since you have not filled out your profile we don't know where you are and cannot suggest a supplier that might be close to you but google 'knife supplies' or 'Loveless bolts' and you should find something close by and maybe that will help with the shipping. Nobody ever said knife making is a cheap hobby ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 02-14-2017, 05:11 PM
Guru

never heard Corby's or loveless called that , But you probilly right ray since they are the most common, personally I like the look of Corby's better as it looks like one solid pin, But on some knives the dot and circle look of a loveless bolt look real good I like the copper and brass combo, but again depends on the knife
Old 02-14-2017, 05:53 PM
Enthusiast

binding post is the same as a Chicago screw. you can find 1 inch and 2 inch at Michaels craft store, and they are steel, not aluminum, and run about 2 bucks per pair.

Carl
Old 02-14-2017, 06:17 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

I try to take the broadest view possible when I offer advice. I figure that since lppd4 doesn't know what the fasteners used on a knife handle are called that he/she is a very new knife maker. As such, the simplest fastener to use, IMO, is the Loveless bolt. Corbys do look better but can be a real challenge to the first time user...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 02-14-2017, 06:26 PM
Enthusiast

I agree Ray, I think he was looking for an easy way to put on a handle without the use of epoxy etc. I picked up a few binding post myself and they work great for a handle in which you might want to take apart or off the tang, the ones at Michaels are a flat head of about 1/16 inch so you can counter sink the screw so that it is flush with the handle.

Carl
Old 02-14-2017, 06:49 PM
Guru

Talking Jephco JP bolts.

Jephco Knife supply has different kinds, sizes and types and have the lowest prices. Look under technical for installing directions. Their JP bolts are for removing or permanent installation. Only place I know for 1/8 loveless bolts. Good customer service and cheap USPS shipping. Their selection of handle screws is second to none as are their prices. Check out their synthetic handle materials, especially if you're a fan of Corian or WIAC (wood in a can). JP bolts come in brass, stainless and black oxide finish. I have never used them as I mostly use loveless and corby bolts, biggest is 3/16". Am a fan of small pins.
http://www.jephcosupply.com/products.../hardware.html

Last edited by jimmontg; 02-14-2017 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Addition, clarification
Old 02-15-2017, 08:43 AM
Guru

I never found a difference in how easy one is than the other, Either way you still drill the hole and counter sink. I guess you could say the loveless are easier because you only tighten from one end. Hey but I could just have this opinion because I started using corbys. I don't try loveless bolts until maybe 20 knives knives in. so maybe that is what swayed my opinion on that....

Jim great link! You know I looked at there site a few months back but I didn't put it in my favorites. and couldn't remember the name! I spent a couple hours one day trying to figure it out
Old 02-16-2017, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
I try to take the broadest view possible when I offer advice. I figure that since lppd4 doesn't know what the fasteners used on a knife handle are called that he/she is a very new knife maker. As such, the simplest fastener to use, IMO, is the Loveless bolt. Corbys do look better but can be a real challenge to the first time user...
Yes I'm a very new knife maker/assembler Thanks for the replies. I am looking for a fastener that can be used and removed if I want to remove the scales. I think the Chicago screw is the answer. I'll check Michaels. I really enjoy the material found here and the work of the true artisans
Old 02-18-2017, 07:32 AM

Just check composition on the chicago screws. A lot of them offered are aluminum. The better/stronger ones are usually chromed brass, stainless are rare at a hobby craft store. There is another thing that can be problematic - many only have a screwdriver slot on one end not both ends. Not so big a problem on installation but if the blind end starts to slip in place ..... well just won't be a secure hold.
I use them quite often in my leather work, but prefer not to use them for mechanical security/strength on a knife. Don't like the thought of one coming loose. This doesn't happen with corby's or loveless style applications.
>just some precautions<

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 02-18-2017, 10:10 AM
Guru

Crex I use them on leather too and also beware as some of them are brass plated steel. The JP bolts I linked above have button head torx head screws on each side and allen flat head screws. If you want to take a knife apart they would be the best looking. Also Loctite.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:23 PM

The fasteners I want are pictured here in Knifekits "Modern tactical" kit. You would think Knifekits or Texas knife making supply would sell the fasteners but I can't find them. You would also think they would sell this kit as a blank only or complete kit. Of course the blank only option would be less expensive.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:51 PM
Administrator

lp,

That's the Modern Tactical kit. We sell pivot barrels and screws (many types) which you can use to create handle fasteners of similar design. We have designer screws in stainless and titanium, if you're after a specific look.

Here's a link to the MT detail page:
http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/produc...oducts_id=4325

Here's a rundown of some pivot barrels that will work:
http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/index.php?cPath=60_83

Here's the link to the designer screws (match the thread size to the pivot - designer screws are inside the thread size categories):
http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/index.php?cPath=60_81

Don't forget step drills, if you want to recess the screw heads:
http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/index....ath=49_193_206

Sign up for the KnifeKits newsletter. We run specials on blade blanks all the time.
http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/news/subscribe.htm

Call us if you need help...
877-255-6433
http://www.knifekits.com

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 02-21-2017, 05:30 AM

And there you go ...... someone always has the answer here. Sometimes you got to go to the "Big Boss", but you will get one.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Tags
brass, cheap, chicago screw, common, craft, fastener, handle, help., hobby, kits, knife, knife making, knife scales, knife supplier, knives, loveless, making, ore, post, profile, scales, screw, steel, store, supplies