MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 12-11-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10EC View Post
Ron..
This really made my day...what a unique RMK !
My pleasure, Rex. Thanks!
Old 12-11-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Bowles View Post
Very cool model #8 Ron, I remember it. Back then I would get 10 knives of the same model to scrimshaw but of course no sheaths. The first set were model #3s, the second set were model #12-6" Little Bears, I don't recall what the third set was but the fourth set were model #8s. Something that may be of interest is that those early knives to be scrimshawed were made specifically to be sent to me for work. All these knives carried that unusual spacer combination as you can see in my serial number #001 which Gary sent me to photograph a few years ago. It's entirely probable that all ten model #8s were 4-5/8" blades. I may have a photo of those model 8s.... if I can find it.
Hi Rick,

Thanks. Good info and great pic! If you can find out any more info about the 8's or post a photo of them, I'd really appreciate it. Note: I took a look at your scrim at 30X: There's a whole lot more going on at that low altitude than meets the naked eye! If someone sent me 10 knives to scrim (Assuming I had the talent which I don't), I'd need to live to 110 before they were finished up!

Coincidently, I just noticed one of your early 12-6 scrims come up on e-bay (S/N 012):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200687362660...84.m1423.l2649

Best,

Ron
Old 12-12-2011, 09:28 AM

Ron, congratulations on a spectacular find!

Not only does the knife have an early and fabulous scrim by Rick, but it's on the highly sought "old yeller" Micarta which ages better than fine wine, and certainly better than me. On top of all this, this #8 has a very rare four and a half inch blade which is definitely exceptional, and it's stainless! The unusual black and white spacers are another bonus!

Another cool thing is that both you and Rick are keen fishermen, so this is a most fitting destination for this Tarpon. (Notice I didn't use the politically correct word "fishers", unfortunately employed by our CBC broadcasters instead of "fishermen", eh?).

And some folks says eBay isn't good for anything...

Rick, what can I say about your excellent elephant scrim. I can only hope it doesn't go to some Dumbo!

The hungry looking falcon scrim ain't too shabby either.

Cheers!

David

Last edited by Moosehead; 12-12-2011 at 09:34 AM.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:49 PM

Thanks, David! Since we don't have no tarpon in this neck of the woods, I'm fixin' to modify Rick's scrim to a trout or a striped bass (I'm almost finished with my scrim 101 class which I started attending yesterday).

Best,

Ron

Last edited by BoBlade; 12-12-2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Bowles View Post
Very cool model #8 Ron, I remember it. Back then I would get 10 knives of the same model to scrimshaw but of course no sheaths. The first set were model #3s, the second set were model #12-6" Little Bears, I don't recall what the third set was but the fourth set were model #8s. Something that may be of interest is that those early knives to be scrimshawed were made specifically to be sent to me for work. All these knives carried that unusual spacer combination as you can see in my serial number #001 which Gary sent me to photograph a few years ago. It's entirely probable that all ten model #8s were 4-5/8" blades. I may have a photo of those model 8s.... if I can find it.
Well, Rick found it! I don't know how after 30 years, but he did!

Here's a pic of some of the 1st group of 10:

Here's a pic of S/N's 47 and 50:

Here's a pic of S/N 47 next to my S/N 49:

Talk about Old Yeller before and after pictures. What great material!

Rick: Amazing scrims for being so early! Thanks for all your help.

Best,

Ron
Old 01-29-2012, 11:12 PM
Enthusiast

Vintage RMK Model #8 'Trout & Bird...

I was really in the hunt for a 'Trout & Bird' knife with the low 'S', but never found one. I did run accross this older (but not much) model #8....it has a squared top hilt and some great stag.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:21 PM

Great looking knife, Rex! Before I limited myself to collecting only Model 3's, Model 8's were right up there in terms of a favorite. I think I've seen only one or two with a low S. I looked for a photo in my archives, but couldn't come up with one. If you're in this game for the long haul, one will come up sooner or later. Before I started collecting Randalls, I had very little patience. I now have that virtue instilled in me
Old 02-03-2012, 01:54 PM

Rex,

Mike Webb has a low S Model 8 and asked me to post these photos for you:

Best,

Ron
Old 02-03-2012, 05:14 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks Ron..I appreciate the help.

Rex

Old 02-17-2012, 03:46 PM
Enthusiast

I want to post my Model #8-4" Trout & Bird knife with a Low 'S' blade stamp to the thread....this knife has been on my 'Bucket List' for a long time... and I want to thank a couple of forumites for helping me secure this RMK.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:46 PM

Congratulations Rex!

That is one of the most beautiful #8's that I have ever seen! The stag has outstanding colour and texture and looks great with the seven spacers and brass hilt. The separate 'S" is the crowning touch.

Cheers!

David

Old 08-29-2018, 11:33 AM
Enthusiast

As BoBlade might remember, a Model 8 just like this one was my introduction to Randall knives. I didn't have the money at the time, so I sold it for the owner who was a hunting buddy of mine. And when I saw this one come up for sale, I just had to have it. One of the original "batch of eight" Model 8's, confirmed by Bob Gaddis.

Old 08-29-2018, 11:43 AM
Enthusiast

And here is another gorgeous little Model 8, with pinned stag. This knife was listed in the 1991 Crider Collection "green" catalog. The keeper strap has been re-attached with the correct rivet.

Along side another more recent Model 8. Just loved the stag on this little beauty.

Last edited by willhunt; 08-29-2018 at 11:45 AM.

Tags
a, awesome, bee, blade, brass, ca, collecting, for sale, hunting, knife, knives, post, randall, sale, scales, scrimshaw, sheath, stag, stone, strap