MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 10-25-2006, 08:37 PM
Enthusiast

One of my favorites, the model #4...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ran4-5d2.jpg (62.1 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg ran4-5d4.jpg (59.8 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by brasshilt; 10-29-2006 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:05 PM

BH,

And yet another oldie but goodie! Do you have a magic hat you're pulling these out from? I figure this one is circa '58 or '59: Not quite early enough to be pinned, but before the choils started to flatten out and Johnson got involved.

Ron
Old 10-26-2006, 06:33 PM

Very nice curves on both the knife and the sheath, Brasshilt!

I also like the dark, gnarly stag.

Keep 'em coming!

Cheers!

Moosehead

Old 10-26-2006, 07:14 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBlade
BH,

And yet another oldie but goodie! Do you have a magic hat you're pulling these out from? I figure this one is circa '58 or '59: Not quite early enough to be pinned, but before the choils started to flatten out and Johnson got involved.

Ron
Thanks Ron, I figured it in the 50's but wasn't sure exactly when. Here's another old user, this one used lots, I was thinking early 50's with the thick black center spacer?

Last edited by brasshilt; 10-29-2006 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:57 PM

BH,

The middle black spacer in the early 50's was "typically" thick, but not always. Mid 50's to early seventies were "typically" thinner, but not always. There is no hard and fast rule because there was usually both thick and thinner black stock in the bin during those times. You have to compare "all" features of the knife, sheath and stone in order to have the best chance of assigning a correct era, knowing that you can still be thrown a turd in the form of a replacement sheath or stone. Without having the knife in hand or seeing better pics, I would venture it's either an early 50's knife in a replacement sheath (stone pocket flap is too narrow for early 50's, but at the same time it was in the early 50's when Heiser or the shop intermittanly ran out of brown buttons. The retainer strap could be a replacement - see how complicated this can get?) or a mid 50's package with a thick black spacer. Looks like there is a compass in the butt. If so, what is the diameter? That will help some.

Ron

Last edited by BoBlade; 10-26-2006 at 08:30 PM.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:24 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBlade
BH,

The middle black spacer in the early 50's was "typically" thick, but not always. Mid 50's to early seventies were "typically" thinner, but not always. There is no hard and fast rule because there was usually both thick and thinner black stock in the bin during those times. You have to compare "all" features of the knife, sheath and stone in order to have the best chance of assigning a correct era, knowing that you can still be thrown a turd in the form of a replacement sheath or stone. Without having the knife in hand or seeing better pics, I would venture it's either an early 50's knife in a replacement sheath (stone pocket flap is too narrow for early 50's, but at the same time it was in the early 50's when Heiser or the shop intermittanly ran out of brown buttons. The retainer strap could be a replacement - see how complicated this can get?) or a mid 50's package with a thick black spacer. Looks like there is a compass in the butt. If so, what is the diameter? That will help some.

Ron
Don't have any good pics of the end with the compass and have not had a chance to get into the safe but when I do, I'll measure it up and let you know.......In the mean time, here's one I think was already put up since I've owned it, but i'm working on those photos so here it is again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ran4-7e9.jpg (46.8 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg ran4-7f.jpg (54.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg ran4-7f1.jpg (55.2 KB, 24 views)
Old 10-30-2006, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasshilt
In the mean time, here's one I think was already put up since I've owned it, but i'm working on those photos so here it is again
BH,

That is one I REALLY hated to let go! Those oversized throat rivets are so rare. The WWII 4 in Hunt's 1st book also had them.

Old 05-12-2016, 04:11 PM
Skilled

Model 4-4"

Early 60's model....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12.jpg (54.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg best.jpg (40.8 KB, 21 views)
Old 05-12-2016, 10:13 PM
Skilled

Nice blade ... I like the look of the upswept blade, downturned handle.

Your knife looks to have a brass escutcheon plate (?), type 1 stamp... which probably dates it to early 1966 almost exactly...I mean within about 3-4 months. That is the calendar overlap from the first appearance of brass escutcheon plates that I can document, and the end of the use of type 1 stamps. Remarkable...(but if that is not brass, just some oxidized coating, then the date could easily be early '60s). No matter, cool knife.

Last edited by Jacknola; 05-13-2016 at 12:44 PM.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:46 PM
Enthusiast

I'm very much liking the older hunters, and especially the 3's and 4's. Here is my latest, and most gorgeous Model 4-7. Pinned stag with nickel silver hilt.
Randall-4-7-pinned-3 Randall-4-7-pinned-2 Randall-4-7-pinned-1 Randall-4-7-pinned-4

Old 04-19-2017, 12:33 AM
Steel Addict

Location: Northwest Mississippi just south of Memphis and close to God's Country...Ole Miss.
My goodness what a beautiful knife!
Ronnie
Old 04-19-2017, 07:17 PM
Enthusiast

Thank you jeepster. It's the jewel of my collection so far.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:56 AM
Steel Addict

Location: Northwest Mississippi just south of Memphis and close to God's Country...Ole Miss.
Just outstanding.
Old 08-29-2018, 12:26 PM
Enthusiast

Here is a very nice Model 4 with pinned ivory, in a riveted Heiser sheath.

Old 08-29-2018, 06:49 PM
Enthusiast

Another old Model 4-5. Pinned stag in a riveted Heiser sheath.

Tags
911, a, blade, brass, forge, handle, hunting knife, ivory, knife, knives, randall, sheath, silver, stag