MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 06-03-2018, 08:18 AM
Skilled

Blade show 2018 (featuring Bo Randall's first knife)

Here are a few pics that I took while at blade Saturday. As you know Bo Randall's first Fancy Spacer knife has come out of seclusion thanks to Art Green, who brought it to blade and shared this special knife.
There are many pictures of this knife, including a 1938 photo of it that appears in Bob Gaddis' book.
Here is the display that Art had it in at Blade.

To give it perspective of size, here it is in my hand.

Close-up of the Randall logo etching.

Yes...I'm a groupie!

I am so thankful to Art for sharing this very special knife. He shared it at the Randall meeting, but I caught him with it as he was about to put it in the display case in the lobby.
Thanks again Art for bringing this piece of Randall history out in public to be appreciated.
There is a feature article in knife magazine on the knife, and it was being given out at no charge at the show.
It David or a moderator would give me permission, I would like to post pics of the article here for those of you that didn't make the show.

Thru the day, I will be posting a few other great knives.

Regards, Sam
Old 06-03-2018, 05:17 PM

Fantastic Sam!

I'm glad you got to meet the knife in person. It must be quite a thrill to be holding the first creation of the master himself.

I love the handle, fancy spacers and the wild looking choil.

I know this knife is really not the very, very first blade Bo made, but I accept it as his first true work of art.

By the way, I'm happy that you didn't drop the blade on your foot, or cut yourself while handling it.

Thanks for posting your cool photos.

Cheers!

David

Old 06-03-2018, 06:15 PM
Steel Addict

It was a great show as always. Good friends and good knives. It was reported that there were 300 more tables this year over last. There was a second room this year! I picked up 6 1940's knives which are my focus as well as a dozen new ones for the website.

Sales were good as well. I know Buck, Gary, and Duke (Randall dealers) all sold a ton of new knives. I did well on the vintage stuff.

There was an amazing Leschorn that came in.... carved handle, engraved, ivory inlays. It was snatched up. Trophy knife.....

The show is growing.... and with the Braves in the area, it is more difficult. Hopefully they will be on away games next year.

If you missed it, you missed it big.

FYIW, there is a Blade Show West in Portland in October. Janie and I will be there, I know the Behring crew, Dave Loomis and the Nordic gang as well.
Old 06-03-2018, 07:23 PM
Skilled

That's great news Mitchell! It was definitely brisk on Saturday when I was there.
I would love to see pics of your 1940's acquisitions when you get a chance. Did anyone get any pics of the Leschorn knife?
Great news about the west coast show too!

David, is it ok to post the article in this thread?
More pics...

A beautifully done model 14 tenite

A Smithsonian that I picked up from Paul Javenes next to it's big brother. The knife comes with a non Randall sheath, but that's ok, I cleaned it up and it will be displayed. The knife, mid 50's is mint.

Old 06-03-2018, 07:41 PM
Skilled

Couple more pics of the Smithsonian brass back. Not sure who the sheath maker is, but they did a pretty good job.

Art Green had a nice looking late 1800's Scagel as well. Always good to see the old ones.

Old 06-04-2018, 05:57 AM

Thanks for sharing! Some really nice knives. I had a belt grinder to set up in the smithy.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:03 AM
Steel Addict

Location: Northwest Mississippi just south of Memphis and close to God's Country...Ole Miss.
Beautiful. Nicely done Sam.
Ronnie
Old 06-05-2018, 06:59 PM
Skilled

Thanks Ronnie. The star of the show was Bo's early fancy spacer Hunter. Sure glad it came to the light of day. Very grateful that Art Green did the research and article on it, and brought it for show & tell!

Sam
Old 06-12-2018, 01:06 AM
Steel Addict

Location: Northwest Mississippi just south of Memphis and close to God's Country...Ole Miss.
It is a special knife for sure.
Ronnie
Old 07-18-2018, 03:26 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by samg View Post
Here are a few pics that I took while at blade Saturday. As you know Bo Randall's first Fancy Spacer knife has come out of seclusion thanks to Art Green, who brought it to blade and shared this special knife.
There are many pictures of this knife, including a 1938 photo of it that appears in Bob Gaddis' book.
Here is the display that Art had it in at Blade.

To give it perspective of size, here it is in my hand.

Close-up of the Randall logo etching.

Yes...I'm a groupie!

I am so thankful to Art for sharing this very special knife. He shared it at the Randall meeting, but I caught him with it as he was about to put it in the display case in the lobby.
Thanks again Art for bringing this piece of Randall history out in public to be appreciated.
There is a feature article in knife magazine on the knife, and it was being given out at no charge at the show.
It David or a moderator would give me permission, I would like to post pics of the article here for those of you that didn't make the show.

Thru the day, I will be posting a few other great knives.

Regards, Sam
Sam

I too got to handle the knife, both in the RKCC meeting and when Art first brought it out to the display case. In fact that is me over your right shoulder with my RMK display.
The Leschorn that Mitchell spoke about, the couple came and talked to a couple of us, who were displaying RMK, before they went in the show. When we guessed the knife was worth $4000.00+, the woman's eyes got as big as saucers. They got a lot more than that for the knife.
You acquired some nice knives. Congratulations.

Old 07-22-2018, 05:05 PM
Skilled

That early Randall of Arts is a special knife, and a good article about it in the Knife magazine that was given away at Blade.
Great story about the Leschorn knife.
Blade is always fun.
Thanks Rod.
Sam

Tags
art, blade, blade show, book, brass, case, display case, etching, first knife, hand, handle, knife, knife magazine, knives, logo, made, make, photo, post, randall, sheath, show, spacer, spacers, special