MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 12-18-2017, 03:08 PM

Spacer between guard and handle?

I am making my first hidden tang knife. I have a black walnut handle, and a brass guard, and plan on peening the the tang at the back of the bolster.

One tutorial I read said to use some spacer material between the wood and brass. What is the reason for this, and do you recommend it?

And if you do recommend it, what spacer material do people prefer?
Old 12-18-2017, 03:20 PM
Guru

Ray has a video where he does this if you can ask him about it he will send you the dvd and he doesn't charge much for it at all....so the idea is first yyou drill out the hole for the tang then see where the tang will sit in side that hole but mark the out side of the block, drill the hole through the block then you dry fit the guard and slide the tang into the block...now as you hold it togather take the drill bit and go through the hole you already drilled you don't want to go all the way through the tang just enough that the drill bit marks the tang....then take the tang back out and drill the hole where that mark is......most likely you will have a little bit of play so here is where the spacer comes in NOW (and not before) you add the spacer in the mix it will push that block back just enough to make sure everything is nice and tight....again rays video explains this in great detail
Old 12-19-2017, 12:10 AM
Skilled

ok so first off, make sure all the parts fit in place snuggly... no slop anywhere. the butt end of the handle, useing atleast 1/8" thick stock. having a washer/spacer on top of that gives the peened over part of the tang a piece to push against the rest of the handle parts with with out stressing or damaging them.

i dont know how to truely explain the physics of it other than it works better that way.
i even go as fat as using 1/16"guide pins hidden in between the handle parts sometimes. this way i can clamp all the parts together to shape and work them without the blade, and know they will still go on the blade the same way i need them to.

hope this is more helpful than confusing.

Tags
back, blade, block, bolster, brass, ca, drill, fixed blade, guard, handle, hidden, hidden tang, knife, make, making, material, pins, play, spacer, tang, tutorial, video, walnut, wood