MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 09-14-2017, 02:27 PM

New Guy with a few questions!

Hello everyone, I come here for a few questions and maybe get pointed in the right direction with what I'm intending to do. I make knives in my spare time, usually for myself and work friends out of railroad spikes. I've made a few hundred of them and I'm wanting to push my limits to something new. I come in contact with a about eight 5-6 foot circular saw mill blades and I'd like to make myself a Bowie knife with a full tang and maybe not add a brass bolster but have it fixed into the blade when I cut it out. I was wondering if there are any downfalls to doing this I have a few examples of some knife makers work that were about the same idea I had. Also wondering if anyone has any other ideas or pictures of about what I'm talking about! Thanks everyone I'll try to add some pictures on here of some knives I've done and two examples of some id like to do.

Here are some examples of what I'm wanting to make

Old 09-14-2017, 04:36 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

I can see your photobucket pictures but I think I get the idea of what you want to make. Personally, I hate bolsters and that sounds like what you want but that's just me, lots of people like them. Aside from that, my biggest criticism is the saw blade. Why bother with that? Just buy a bar of blade steel so you actually know what you have and how it should be heat treated. Some saw blades are good steel, some aren't. You might think you're saving money but that is an arguable point.

Anyway, welcome to the forum! We'll help you if we can ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Tags
blade, blades, bolster, bolsters, bowie, bowie knife, brass, buy, fixed, full tang, heat, knife, knives, made, make, makers, mill, mobile, saw blade, steel, tang, web