MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:16 AM
Guru

There's no good pics of the front of my guards here Goater except one where I machined a groove on the guard for the shoulder to sit down in as there isn't a ricasso. I made the big dagger mostly with an angle grinder so no plunge line. One picture the darned camera was focusing on its own reflection, so it came out fuzzy and its hard to see the hole in the guard fit.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139620...h/29973898636/
Old 03-01-2017, 01:27 PM
Skilled

Love that tomahawk head Jim. I'd love to try forging one some day.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!
Old 03-01-2017, 07:20 PM
Guru

Tomahawk?
It's a Danish Viking axe, well a copy of one, 4160 steel or 1060 teacher wasn't sure. Forged it down at the college. Put a brass sword guard on it and with the head being 2 Lbs and a 22" handle I don't think he wants to throw it. Especially cause I told him it would cost $60 to handle it again, the handle isn't one you buy. My customer wanted a using axe, but wanted a Viking flair to it, hence the Norwegian laminated steel blade I handled years ago and made sheath for him with it. To antique the brass I just put bluing on it to age it up a bit.

I did blacksmithing before forging a knife at my brother's shop in CAL. Was good training for forging a knife, but I haven't forged many knives. I can't forge without a power hammer any more as I have COPD and hand hammering isn't happening. Most Tomahawks you buy aren't good for chopping wood as they aren't typically hard enough and are too light. Ones I've seen are 4140 or 1045. They are made for throwing. That axe is differentially HT, hard edge and poll, but softer in the middle.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:10 AM
Skilled

Sorry. I'm not a historian as far as axes or tomahawks. Looked like a tomahawk head to my untrained eye.
I'm clear on the use of tomahawks. They were a hand to hand fighting weapon, not a tool for chopping wood.

So let me change my statement to. "I'd to try forging a tomahawk someday".

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!
Old 03-02-2017, 09:50 AM
Guru

Well it wouldn't take a big forge to do it, a 2 to 3 lb hammer and a heavy block of steel for an anvil. A piece of 8670 carbon steel about .220 thick and 2 inches wide by 8 inches long would do the trick. 8670 is just a slightly improved 5160. AKS sells it cheap. Darn I don't know where there is a video showing how to rough out a small tomahawk. Watching it done would be real helpful.

Tell you one thing though, buy a tomahawk handle before you forge the head. I could have bought a tapered 22" heavy tomahawk handle online and made the head to fit instead of the other way around.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:43 AM
Skilled

I watched a YouTube where the guy folded around an iron pipe of a certain diameter to make his hole for the handle.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!
Old 03-03-2017, 11:37 AM
Guru

Great then you know s thing or two about it. A heavy axehead is a bit different, but not by a lot 1/4 to 3/8. 8670 or 5160 would be a good place to start. Thicker would do as well, 3/8 L6 From Cincinnati tool steel as they sell L6 in 3/8 to one inch plate for a decent price. Sheared so check for twist before HT.Almost made a Kukri from the 3/8, but customer didn't like the price". Real Kukris run from 1/4 to 3/8 thick, hence their cutting power from 3/8 to an edge is why. Faster to forge than grind when that thick.

L6 is a great forging steel but not easy to find. Only comes in very thick dimensions from CTS and they shear it from plate. But if forging 3/8 L6" is hard to beat. If they sold it in 1/8 to 3/6 I would make some tough knives from it. As a knife steel almost as good as O1. Was quite impressed with the tomahawks I made from it in 2003. A forged knife as well. Great steel, and in my opinion better than 5160 or 4140, but not far different from 8760 except more nickel.

Last edited by jimmontg; 03-04-2017 at 01:11 PM. Reason: wrong numbers
Old 03-09-2017, 09:10 AM
Enthusiast

after alot of sanding with fine grit wet sand paper in the 400-1500 range i got it all worked out. That was a costly mistake time wise! i guess thats why i am a newbie lol
Old 03-09-2017, 12:02 PM
Guru

Glad you got it Justin. I hate making a mistake after everything is together and then I go and scratch it near the guard or something like that. Trying to get those scratches out without putting more on there is time consuming.

Tags
antler, back, bee, blade, brass, building, clean, fixed blade, flat, guard, guards, handle, hidden, knife, knives, photo, polish, press, sand, sanding, satin finish, solder, surface, tang, weld