MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Photography Discussion

Knife Photography Discussion Share and improve your techniques on knife photography. Web and print imaging discussions welcome. Come on in ...

Old 01-31-2010, 11:55 AM
Enthusiast

Monitor Adjustment

I am hoping for some feedback on these two images. They are as they appear on 2 different monitors. As you can see we are a world apart from each other as far as Brightness and Contrast are concerned. Does either photo appear to be close to correct or are we both at opposite ends? We would appreciate the feedback from someone with a calibrated monitor.
Greg

Last edited by mckenna; 01-31-2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:32 PM

I'm confused.

Not sure what you mean, but the upper photo looks correct on this end. Good contrast and color balance.

The other is simply too bright and washed out. If that image looks OK on some monitor, I'd be suspect of that one's calibration. Probably much too dark.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 02-01-2010, 09:01 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks Coop. That's what I needed to know. Here's the image after doing some calibrating and a re-edit.
Greg

Last edited by mckenna; 02-01-2010 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:00 PM

Looks very good, Greg.

Was this one edited from the upper monitor photo or the lower one?

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 02-01-2010, 04:06 PM
Enthusiast

It was edited from the lower, washed out photo. I have been having a difficult time in getting the gamma set close to right. I would get used to a dark or bright screen from trying to toggle the gamma and edit photos accordingly. With some monitor calibrating programs, adjusting the gamma close to the recommended 2.2 value, the screen would seem to be too dark or too light and I would over compensate for it in image editing. Trying to toggle the video card and the monitor calibration led to things getting out of hand. I think I'm on the right track with it now. Phil brought it to my attention and I used his edited photo with my original ( washed out ) to post in here for you folks to compare. His appeared way too dark to me. With the 3rd party observation I now know that I was way off base, not Phil, and can figure pretty close how much. The last, re-edited photo I posted shows some evidence of it. I do appreciate the help !!
Greg

Wanted to add: Photo taken with the Canon 450D and the Thrifty 50 mm 1.8 lens.

Last edited by mckenna; 02-01-2010 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:06 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks for clearing that up Coop.
I'm on a Mac so I have to be careful when I post an imge that will mostly be viewed on a pc.
If I were to adjust for my Mac, it really would be way too dark on a pc. So before I Save For the Web, I always use View > Proof Set > Windoz RGB and do my final adjustments.
Greg shows some real photographic talent, but I had to point out to him that his photos did look washed out. He thought that my pics were just too dark, so we brought it here to your forum the People's Court.... wait that's not right. We brought it to the Knife Network Forum.

Coop, if you're setting up at ECCKS I hope to see you there.

PhilL
Old 02-01-2010, 08:38 PM
Enthusiast

I'm sure just about everyone that posts photos on the Internet wonders if everyone sees them the same way you do. I am sure I have tons of photos out there that look pretty bad and no one wanted or cared to mention it. I would rather know that I am screwing up and find a way to correct it. The photos don't have to be stellar but should be in the ballpark. Stellar is gonna take me a little more time
This is the original montage sized down from 3300 pixels to 900 wide after being being flattened and without any editing other than what it took to position the 2 photos and clear the excess background. I did use some USM while downsizing. I tried to position the knife in the upper part of the image so that the light wouldn't be so bright on the blade and bolster by tilting the backside up but when I did the convex part of the blade would reflect the background from below and look dark and hide a portion of the blade. I figured it would be easier to darken or color the bolster a little than trying to fix the reflection on the blade.
Greg

Last edited by mckenna; 02-01-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:07 AM

Good thought processes going on here. You are looking closely at the work. That's the spirit!

Phil, I will be joining you in line at ECCKS. Eric Eggly will be the photographer and I'm coming to gladhand and purchase as a collector. Like the old days....

I've already talked with Eric and am bringing him a few spare background books.

Keep it up!

Coop

Old 02-02-2010, 09:49 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the help Fellas. If I would have been able to see the out of camera results with my new monitor settings, It would have saved a lot to time.
Greg

Tags
image, knife