MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Network : Support & Services > Feature & Member Support

Feature & Member Support Questions about how to use the features on the Knife Network web site? Problems logging in? Post them in here.

Old 11-20-2002, 09:01 PM
Steel Addict

Can someone please help. How do you find out how many pixels an image is to know whether or not it is too large to use as an avatar? The new one I want to use is less KB's than the one I'm currently using but when I try to post it it says "image too large"
Also how do you re-size? I'm using paint is that ok?

Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks in advance
Vince

Old 11-21-2002, 06:44 PM
Founding Member *Sys_Admin*

Vince,
Most of us use photo/image editing software like Photoshop, Paintshop Pro, etc. to resize, crop, and enhance our images.

I don't use Paint, so I don't know it you can resize with that or not. If you don't have any other tools like those mentioned above, I would suggest the excellent freeware program called IrfanView. It is completely free, has no nags, and is not adware.

Many of us use it as our image "viewer" on our machines because it's so small, and fast. Many of us also use it to quickly resize or tweak an image rather than loading up our bloated high-dollar photo editing software.

Here is a link: http://www.irfanview.com/

Click the banner above to visit my website
Old 11-21-2002, 07:23 PM
Steel Addict

Lightbulb

Thanks Terry I just remembered way back in the deep dark recesses of my harddrive the exact program you mention. I'll dig it out and give it a whirl!

Thanks for the info
Vince

Old 11-21-2002, 09:45 PM
Steel Addict

Terry thanks again for the heads up and steering me in the right direction. It took me all of about 3 minutes using the program you suggested.

You da man!
Thanks again
Vince

Old 11-22-2002, 03:44 PM
Founding Member *Sys_Admin*

Glad it worked well for you Vince. Check the IrfanView website for updates every few months. It is very well supported and is updated frequently.

####

Gang,
I received an email today from another CKD member about the installation of IrfanView. Upon installation, IrfanView asks about associating itself with various Windows files. I decided to post my reply here (with no names of course). This is what the file association business is all about.

Whether or not to let IrfanView associate itself with files is up to you. I'll assume that you aren't familiar with associations, and explain what it is. If you already know, don't be offended. I'll just be reinforcing what you already know.

Associations are a way of telling Windows what program handles what files. To explain this better, lets look at a specific type of file and go from there. Since we are talking about graphic files, let's use the most common graphic file used on the Internet; the JPEG or JPG.

Most of the images we show on the forums will end with the .JPG extension. For example, a photo of one of your knives might be named my_knife.jpg. The ".jpg" on the end is what tells Windows the type of file it is. In this case, it is a JPEG image file. By default, Windows associates JPEG (JPG) files with Internet Explorer. So, if you double-click on the file my_knife.jpg on your machine, it would display the picture in Internet Explorer. On your machine, JPEGs may or may not be associated with Internet Explorer, that's just the default .

By allowing IrfanView to associate itself with image files such as .JPG, .GIF, .TIF and so on, it means that when you double-click on a file with one of those extensions, Windows will automatically open it and display it in IrfanView. By using associations, it does not mean that Windows won't let any other program use the files, it just means that by default, when one of the associated files is opened, it will automatically open the file in the program it has been associated with. It will NOT automatically make .JPG files on the forums or on websites open in IrfanView. Windows is smart enough to know that they should be displayed in your browser.

So with all this rambling I have done, what is the answer? In my case, I do allow IrfanView to associate itself with all graphic image files. This is something you can change at will. To manually set the files that you would like for IrfanView to associate itself with (or un-associate itself with):

- Open IrfanView
- On the top menu, select "Options"
- From the drop-down menu select "Properties"
- Select the "Extensions" tab

This shows all the types of files that IrfanView knows how to handle. You can either manually select the ones you know you want it to handle, or take the easy way out and just click the "Select All" button. This is something that you can change at will, so you don't have to worry about screwing something up.

If you need more help, feel free to email me again, or just post the question in the Computer Center forum on CKD. There are a bunch of us who use IrfanView because it's small, fast, powerful, and free. It has a very good reputation, is frequently updated, and probably the most popular utility of its type on the Internet.

Click the banner above to visit my website
Old 11-22-2002, 09:18 PM

Great clarity on this post, Terry. Thanks for taking the time to write it and share it. This is basic, but mandatory knowledge for all of us.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??

Tags
knife, knives