MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 08-20-2001, 08:25 PM
John Frankl

plunge cuts, etc. Again!

Here we go again. I had pretty straight, very angular plunge cuts going on a bowie when I decided to use a jflex belt to round them in a bit. I had several problems.

Once the belt actually cut into my shoulders, burrowing under my existing plunge cut. I expected the jflex to roll over but it stayed dead straight and cut. Some possible explanations are as follows:

I did not dull the last quarter inch or so of the belt first.

The platen is custom made and quite a bit thinner and wider than the original Bader B2. The belt comes to the edge of this extra wide platen at a slight angle due to the off center position relative to the wheels above and below it.

Too little patience and practce?

Any others out there?

Thanks.

John
Old 08-20-2001, 09:23 PM
Ed Caffrey

Run the edge of that belt out past the platen about 3/16"-1/4", then take an old file and force it to wrap around the edge of the platen, you'll be "killing" that edge of the belt at the same time (which is what you want). I usually start right at the plunge cut and then force the belt to roll over with that. The whole trick is to learn to adjust how much belt is past the platen, in relationship to the depth of your plunge cuts. Too much belt sticking out and you get a really wollowed plunge, too little belt and it will cut in as you described. Sometimes it even works to sorta roll the blade into the platen, once you've made contact in the plunge cut area. Don't fret, every now and then I screw one up, and I been working at it for a bunch of years. Like they say "Some days you eat the bear..............Some days the bear eats you!"

Just keep working at it, and it will come to the point where successes will out number failures!

Tags
blade, knife