MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 02-17-2002, 11:19 AM
SIGGI

New DDRII

Inspired by Big DB, I used Black/Blue G10. I also dovetailed the bolsters and went with a filework spine with vine filework. I also relieved for access to liner lock and thumbstud.

Thanks for looking,

Bob Sigmon
Old 02-17-2002, 09:20 PM
Big DB

Hi Bob, GREAT job, that looks wonderful. I was pleasantly surprised with how the G10 was pretty easy to work.
The file work on this has hit my jealous bone. I have to learn how to do that. The dove tails really stand out. How did you do them and get the angles right? Just eyeball it? That is another task I'm gonna have to work on. i am going to be putting some blue/black on a DDR1 this week for a guy at work, I am glad to see how good that looks. Thanks Bob, amazing job!!!

Dan
Old 02-18-2002, 12:02 AM
SIGGI

Dan,

The dovetail is easy if you have a disc sander. Just set the table at 45 deg. and don't reset it till your done. Do the bolsters first and make sure that they match. Then do the G10 dovetail. Attach the bolsters, push the G10 tight against the bolsters and mark out the outline of the liners. Then finish as you would regular scales.

The filework is easy if you read the tutorials..and get some good files. There have been various threads about filework and there are many methods. Try it you'll like it.

Thanks for you comments.

Bob Sigmon
Old 02-18-2002, 05:53 AM
Coop747

AWESOME!

Wow, Bob, that looks so nice and well finished. I'm with DB--those bolsters are sharp! Again you amaze us with the handmade backspacer alone, and the filework to it.

I'm inspired again! Hallelujah!!

Thanks,

Coop
Old 02-18-2002, 07:26 AM
Big DB

Thanks for the info, now if there were some method to convince my wife I need a disk sander!! Ah, but if I knew that secret I'd be a wealthy man!
Dan
Old 02-18-2002, 08:46 AM
SIGGI

Just use the Jeff Foxworthy method...but Honey I NEED a disk grinder...

Probably didn't work, did it?

Oh, well.........There is always birthday & Christmas......maybe Fathers Day.....whatever is sooner.

Thanks for your kind words, Coop.

I'm just trying to learn what I can, so that when I start making my own knives I can keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Bob Sigmon
Old 02-18-2002, 06:08 PM
D A Guertin

Hmm...

Just a quick thought...I've noticed almost everyone (me included) has polished out the bolsters, has anyone had the cojones to pop the thumbstud off any of these, and polish the blade? How would one go about taking the thumstud off in such a way as to re-attach it? Any ideas? Thanks all.

Take care of yourselves,

D.
Old 02-18-2002, 08:10 PM
Big DB

Re: Hmm...

As a matter of fact, I will be posting some pics of an EV when I get the new stud in the mail. I couldn't get the other one off without tearing it up. If you go back and look at some that Coop has done, he has pulled the thumb-bob and redone them. I was thinking of getting a pair of pliers and using some liquid rubber insulation to give them several coats so I can pull the studs without ruining them. Coop- time for you to pitch in and tell how you pulled them...

And Bob I tried the Foxworthy, no dice, I did get some AA batteries for the house thermostat though. Couldn't figure out a way to use them for a dovetail........

Dan
Old 02-18-2002, 08:35 PM
SIGGI

thumbstud

Guys,

The thumbstuds on the larger knives have a small hole on one side that you use to loosen the stud. I believe you may need to punch out the other side.

The DDRII I have not tried but assume you would need some type of padded jaw pliers. Maybe leather pads? Darrel????
Wasss up wit the small stud?

Bob Sigmon
Old 02-18-2002, 08:54 PM
Coop747

Re: thumbstud

Only the DDR-1 has the hole for a wrench or pin to turn. The DDR-2 and EV4-N1 have studs that are loctited in place. I removed both of them on my knives and hand-rubbed the blades to a satin finish.

The 'trick'? I used two drill chucks to grip each side. When I tightened them I used a paper washer so as to not scratch my finish. The chucks left a minor mark on the stud, but still do-able.

A good tap handle might do the same thing. The proper thing to do would be to make up a small collar with a slice in it to grip. Then the marring would be limited to the sleeve. (I'm thinkin' out loud here, but you can bet I'll be doin' this next!)

Now Darrel can step in and fill us ALL in....

Coop
Old 02-18-2002, 09:38 PM
SIGGI

Coop,

Great 'trick'.......leave it to the mechanic. :cool:

You are da' man.

Bob Sigmon
Old 02-19-2002, 06:41 AM
jar

COOP
I tried a similar trick to get the studs off my EV and failed miserably. Scratched the blade up big time. That's the part I need to keep polishing but since I scratched the rest of the blade up today using it, I guess it's going to become my EDC as is

I'll try your trick on my next DDR.

Thanks.

SIGGI
Your knife is fantastic. I sure hope one of mine will turn out that nice one day.

jim
Old 02-19-2002, 10:17 AM
Darrel Ralph

That blue black looks great!

Tags
blade, knife, knives