MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 02-16-2002, 12:10 AM
oupa

Shaping scales?

Is there perhaps an
" How to shape knife scales - for idiots"
available somewhere?
I would like a convex shape to be left in place, when the dust settles!

Old 02-16-2002, 03:59 AM
Big DB

Hi oupa,
Just do what I do, try to stay as nervous as possible and don't forget to panic if you think you've messed up!! It depends on your equipment. I have a homemade beltsander, on the DR kits I first make sure the back of the scales are flat, then fit to the bolsters, then mark and drill the screws. I am always a little off here, so I oversize the hole a wee bit to allow me to fit nice and tight against the bolster before tightening the scale up. Then I start bringing the edges down to the liner using the belt sander. Once I am close to the liner, I use a slack belt to start shaping down the rest of the way. I have been using a dull 220 belt for this. It is amazing how fast a sharp belt can eat through material(wood, G10, flesh...) Be careful with the belt edges and I try to keep the piece in motion to minimize the famed 2" mark.
I had to shape the bottom curves of EVN I am doing by hand so there is always that fail safe proven method. Good Luck!!
Dan

Tags
forge, knife