MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 03-29-2008, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
I'm slowly but surely working on them. Right now I'm trying to figure out the best was to present things so that everyone will fully understand them.

I'm also considering a few options that might, or might not happen.

Here's some other things I'm looking into as options to go along wtih the plans:

1. Possibly offering a bolt on adapter for existing KMG tooling arms

2. Offering a pre-cut platen (just the 1/2" metal portion, with a 3/4" pin already installed). The individual would have to drill/tap their own holes, and purchase the contact wheels from Rob Frink.

3. Offering the pre-cut platen as in #2, but with the holes drilled and tapped.

I'm waiting on some quotes as far as steel and waterjet cutting go.

I suspect things are going to pan out as follows:

Start out offering just plans. Then if the quotes come in reasonable, offer those as options/additions to the plans.

Where I'm having the most problems right now is trying to figure out how to illustrate the actual flat platen portion so that everyone will understand it. I may wind up having photos along with drawings. Just wanna make sure their right before offering anything.

More to come!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 03-30-2008, 09:02 AM
Steel Addict

Ed,
Thanks for the update on your plans.
Option number 1 would probably be very popular. Wouldn't the platten just be bolted to the 1/2" all thread that the KMG uses? All you would need to rotate the platten is a socket to loosen the nut and to tighten it after you have the platten in the new position. If I am visualising this wrong, please tell me. I don't have a KMG yet. I am building a clone based on Mike Clerkes plans. I still have not made the platten because I have been looking for some 1/2" alluminum plate.
Regards,
Fred
Old 04-03-2008, 07:38 PM
Skilled

I am getting ready to order my KMG and would be real interested in seeing those plans Ed!
I finally sold that other prybar knife I told you about :-)
Old 04-06-2008, 07:59 AM

Ed,
If you need more encouragement on the project, I am very interested in the option requiring the least amount of precision work, option three above. I know my limitations.

I had previously contacted Rob Frink regarding ordering a platten like yours and he regretted not having enough time for custom work as he was busy making grinders. Very understandable. I am still saving up for my KMG (hopefully after recovering from taxes). I already have the MAP arm tool rest as I did not want to miss out on the limited production of that item.

I really appreciate your efforts on this project. Many Thanks. -Doug

Old 04-08-2008, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator

OK folks, got an update for you on the Plans/Platen parts.

The plans are coming along, and I expect that within the next few weeks I'll have them ready. It looks like the cost for the plans is going to be between $20-$30, BUT that is just a guess, as I still will have to figure out printing costs.

Next, in my last post I talked about possibly offering some precut parts....I got all my price quotes back, and it looks like:

option #2 Offering a pre-cut platen (just the 1/2" metal portion, with a 3/4" pin already installed). The individual would have to drill/tap their own holes, build their own platen holder and platen, and purchase the contact wheels from Rob Frink.) The plans would have a template for building the platen holder and platen face. This would be around $200 plus shipping.

Option #3: Is basically the same as #2, but with all the holes pre-threaded/tapped. This option would be around $240 plus shipping.

Those costs would not include the plans themselves...but just the parts as described.

My question is.... Would folks be willing to pay that much for parts? Because of the price on the parts, I would not be able to keep a supply of them on hand, and if you ordered the parts there would be a lead time involved so that I could get the part(s) in, and do any threading that the customer wants. Let me know your thoughts.

I also want to make it very clear that this platen WILL NOT bolt directly to an existing KMG tooling arm.....the tooling arm must be modified with 3/4" hole drilled through it, with a socket head bolt installed as a tightening device...... this information, and instructions will also be in the plans. The whole idea behind this platen is to have complete freedom to move it where it needs to be, without having to hassle with a bunch of tools and time. With my setup all you need is ONE allen wrench, and you can relocate the platen to any working surface that it provides.
Take a look at this link.... http://www.caffreyknives.net/KMGarticle.html
The pictures in this article should give you an idea of what I'm talking about. I have modified the platen with a few addition features since those pics where taken, and have also relocated/modified how the platen attaches to the tooling arm to allow for more clearance on the the left side.

Most anybody who has been to my shop for a class can tell you about the platen...I don't think I've had an individual here yet, who hasn't liked it.

MORE TO COME!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."

Last edited by Ed Caffrey; 04-08-2008 at 09:41 AM.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:02 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to DiamondG Knives
Ed

Just wanted a clarification. Will the #3 come with contact wheels? Or will the wheels need to be purchased sepratly.

Thanks and God Bless
Mike

Old 04-08-2008, 11:18 PM
Super Moderator

No contact wheels will be included with any of the parts I'm thinking of offering....that is something the individual will have to purchase, along with all the other materials/parts needed to finish out the platen. At one time I had considered building the platens and selling them as ready to use, however, after all the costs and labor were added up, I would have to charge around $500 for the platen....and I didn't think anyone would be willing to pay that much for it.

The ONLY part I'm going to offer is that main, 1/2" thick portion of the platen that holds the contact wheels and the platen holder/platen. The prices I mentioned are for that piece only, with a 3/4" stud installed, the lower price is for the piece without the holes threaded, and the higher price for one with the holes threaded. Shipping cost would be in addition to the prices I mentioned.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

Old 04-09-2008, 01:11 PM
Enthusiast

Ed,

I would be very interested to purchase a set of plans. My guess is that I can build the attachment from there. Looks like a sweet addition!

Dan
Old 04-10-2008, 03:19 PM
Skilled

Hi Ed!

I ran through this thread a couple of times again and could not find a reference to
where you would buy the 1.5" contact wheel. I looked on Rob's website and could
not find one offered for sale there. I see 2" as the smallest he offers.

Maybe Rob sells them but just doesn't have them listed on the website?

Thanks Ed,
Dana
Old 04-10-2008, 04:04 PM
Skilled

Dana they are on Rob's site, but in a different section than the other wheels. It is in KMG Accessories.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Tom!

Before I ever started considering offering plans, I talked with Rob about asked him if he could be the supplier for the wheels. At that time he told me that he keeps a few of the 1 1/2" wheels in stock, and could adjust that if demand dictated.

These plans are proving to me a big task! I'm trying to make them as simple as possible, but right now, with all the photos involved the file is about 150mb! I still have to finish up a lot of things, and then take it to a printer and see what its going to cost to have them printed, but things are coming along, I won't promise any dates, but we're getting closer.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

Old 04-11-2008, 08:22 AM
Skilled

Thumbs up Okie dokie......

Thanks Tom and Ed.

Best regards,
Dana
Old 04-11-2008, 03:57 PM
Steel Addict

I've only kept a few of the 1.5" wheels in stock as emergency replacements for those that have this attachment and didn't have them listed on the website.

The "private reserve" is nearly depleted and I've ordered a large qty to have on hand all the time now. They should be ready in about 3 weeks. I've updated the web site and now have them listed.

Rob

Old 05-22-2008, 04:14 PM
Steel Addict

What is the wheel center distance on this platen. It looks longer than a normal platen. Can it accomodate a bevel rest also? Thanks
Old 05-23-2008, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Sam!

Axle to axle on the platen is slightly under 10". It is designed with the platen face being a separate piece, to allow for different platen faces. As far as a work rest goes, the KMG work rest attaches to the tooling arm via 2 threaded holes, not sure how it works on other machines. To use this platen the tooling arm must be modified with a 3/4" hole to accept the 3/4" stud on the platen.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

Tags
blade, knife