MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Heat Treating and Metallurgy

Heat Treating and Metallurgy Discussion of heat treatment and metallurgy in knife making.

Old 11-16-2008, 07:42 PM
Registered

links for .pdf on cpm154 and cpm-d2?

Any one have the Crucible links for .pdf's on cpm154 and cpm-D2?

I know that 154cm and cpm154 are close but I'd like the exact .pdf if I can find it.

thanks for any help.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:59 PM
Master

I don't think that's available. The chemistry is the same though so the HT is the same .They're very nice steels !!
Old 12-02-2008, 12:36 AM
Steel Addict

Tracy,

http://www.crucibleservice.com/esele...ss/154cms.html
http://www.crucibleservice.com/esele...airdi150t.html

I didn't see 154-cpm or D2-cpm in the index. I've had great times and gotten a lot of good help e-mailing Crucible Tech. Support. I don't think there is any way they wouldn't tell you everthing you want to know.

Mike

Last edited by Mike Krall; 12-02-2008 at 12:43 AM.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:39 AM
Hall of Famer

Tracy, like the others, I haven't found the info for CPM but the heat treat for 154 is the same, CPM or not.

I recently bought some CPM D2 for a custom order and heat treated the first blade as if it were plain D2. It didn't fully harden at 1875, so I had to go up to 1920 f before quenching between plates. That came out perfect.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:54 AM
Registered

odd... they must have pulled them. I have print out from the cpm154 .pdf in my personal heat treat book but lost the file some where. I'll be placing a re-order with them soon and I'll see if I can get a link out of them. If I do, I'll post it.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:06 AM
Hall of Famer

If you do, I'll be interested in the one for CPM D2. It's odd that the heat treat formula is evidently different than plain D2.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:00 PM
Steel Addict

I just searched Google for the CPM 154CM link and was able to find it. Here is the link.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:59 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmickley
odd... they must have pulled them. I have print out from the cpm154 .pdf in my personal heat treat book but lost the file some where. I'll be placing a re-order with them soon and I'll see if I can get a link out of them. If I do, I'll post it.
Tracy,

I e-mailed Crucible about the CPM-D2 and got a response, Asked if it was OK to put it up here and got a, "Yes, please copy/paste entire". I'm going to link them to the thread.
----------------------------------------------------

We have not published a data sheet for CPM D2. We have not made very much of it, only a couple of heats for knife blade stock. We have not promoted it as a regular grade in our tool steel product line, thus the lack of published info.

It is exactly the same as regular D2 except made via our CPM process instead of our conventional steelmaking process.- in other words, it starts as a powder, not a cast ingot. Other than that it's the same animal.

Because of the CPM process, CPM D2 has a more uniform microstructure, better polishability, and a little better fracture resistance along the edge than regular D2. Heat treatment is the same, although we are told you might get very slightly higher hardness, maybe 1/2 to 1 point more at best, using the same heat treat procedure you might use now for regular D2.

This product has been of interest to knifemakers because of its polishability, toughness, and novelty. In our industrial tooling market, customers can get the same toughness in other alloys, and the polishability and novelty does not mean so much to them, so they would generally not pay the price of a CPM grade for a grade they could get conventionally manufactured for a lower price. It's one of the differences between the craft aspect of the knife market, versus the utility of the industrial tool market.

Ed Tarney
Chief Product Metallurgist
CPM, Tool, and High Speed Steel
Crucible Specialty Metals
http://www.crumetals.com/index.cfm
techservices@crucible.com <mailto:techservices@crucible.com>
www.crucible.com <http://www.crucible.com>

---------------------------------------------------------

Mike
Old 12-06-2008, 03:24 AM
Master

That's what I thought .Thanks Mike. The slightly higher hardness is logical as more carbide surface area is exposed to be dissolved during soaking.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:56 AM
Registered

It's been awhile since I've used any D2 but I know it to be good steel. I'm going to have to try some soon. Good info from Ed.
Crucible, for all of their faults, has been by far the most receptive and responsive to the knife steel industry. You have to appreciate them for that.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:54 AM
Steel Addict

Tracy,

Would you say what you feel Crucible's faults are, please?

Mike
Old 12-07-2008, 01:03 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Krall
Tracy,

Would you say what you feel Crucible's faults are, please?

Mike

I wouldn't and probably shouldn't have said that much.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:46 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmickley
I wouldn't and probably shouldn't have said that much.
Your call, for sure...

Mike
Old 12-07-2008, 09:22 AM
Hall of Famer

Hah!! tracy, you started this.

Of all the vendors I've dealt with, Crucible is the best. I recently ordered a piece of CPM D2 and didn't find the heat treating info on their site, so I emailed their home office and asked where the info was.

I got an email reply from one of their people there right away telling me they had never made CPMD2. Now remember I already had the steel.

While I was turning this information over in my head, the phone rang. It was Scott, apologizing for the mistake. He said they had only made a very small test batch to test the market, and that I happened to be one of a few who had the material.

Now I appreciate people who will call me personally to correct something. This whole thing probably took place within an hour.

As I said in a previous post, I had to increase the hardening temp a little to get the right working hardness, but I've made 4 folders from this material and like the other CPM steels, it works beautifully and takes the best 2000 grit hand rub finish I've ever been able to obtain. Really beautiful.

I'm not making fun of you, Tracy, I'm just glad to have a chance to tell this little story.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:01 AM
Registered

Don, I meant to compliment Crucible and it came out wrong. In the past, I've had a couple orders get lost on a desk. Aggravating but not that big of a deal in the big picture.

What I meant to convey, of all the bigger companies, Crucible takes care of knife makers better than most all of the others. I wish more larger companies were as responsive as they are. Scott has gone out of his way to take care of me more than once.

Tags
blade, knife, knives