MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:58 PM
Registered

looking for training

hi, i am new to the forum, but i made this account to try and find a place near where i live where i can learn knife smiting, and i figured that this would be the best place to do so.

so i live in log beach, California, however i can drive to near by cites. I know next to nothing about this craft so i am looking for a school or internship. I do not know if there would be an age limit for this but i an turning 18 in a few months. any help that i can get would be much appreciated , thank you.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:01 AM
Steel Addict

Hello,

I'm extremely new myself. I've barely gotten started in fact, but I have learned quite a bit in the last couple of months. It would be great to have some face to face instruction with a maker. I'm going to look into arranging that for myself soon too. However, don't think you have to wait for something like that in order to get started. There is a huge amount of very detailed information available for getting started. There are wonderful books, articles, websites, videos, web tutorials, and of course this forum. I'm certainly not trying to tell you not to seek direct training, but just know that you can get started on your own if you are willing to do the research and practice. Good luck.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:58 AM
Master

There are a few schools out east, but very expensive. Your best bet is to find another maker. There is a sticky thread here with maker locations. Also, pick up a recent annual publication of KNIVES (i.e. KNIVES 2013) there is an extensive directory in the back.

Just a tip, most makers won't spend the time to teach you the basics that you can learn in books. Its a waste of everyones time. Pick up four of five books, and practice until you've reached your limit there, then try and contact another maker.

Tags
back, getting started., instruction, knife, knives, made, teach