MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Organizations and Club Boards > The North Carolina Custom Knifemakers Guild Forum

The North Carolina Custom Knifemakers Guild Forum The North Carolina Custom Knifemakers Guild. Raising the general awareness of custom knives and the people who make them.

Old 02-11-2019, 11:44 AM

Need shop items - Grinder, etc

Hey folks, we need to set up a shop. We FINALLY got power out there and i want to set up for knifemaking. If you have a 220 grinder, forge, press etc for sale can you give me a PM? I have been looking at the OBM's for grinder. Also we are located in Mocksville NC. If anyone has some spare time and is within an hours drive who give me and my son's some education i would be willing to pay for that time. My adult son's have been forging and grinding blades already with smaller tools, but they are a bit too crude for my taste. If you need some shop help, like to teach or have some spare time please give me a holler. I figure any time with someone who knows what they are doing will save my lots of time and money in the future.

Thanks,

Derek
Old 02-11-2019, 05:34 PM
Guru

I looked and saw where you're located and thought you might try some of your local community colleges for knife forging classes. I used to live in Burnsville north of Asheville and my local cc had classes not only in knife forging, but blacksmithing. Blacksmithing is another way to make some extra money if your son is looking to make a living, because making knives isn't going to be a good career choice unless he makes it big. Most knifemakers have a second source of income or an understanding working wife. I do more leather work than knives by a large margin plus I'm retired.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmontg View Post
I looked and saw where you're located and thought you might try some of your local community colleges for knife forging classes. I used to live in Burnsville north of Asheville and my local cc had classes not only in knife forging, but blacksmithing. Blacksmithing is another way to make some extra money if your son is looking to make a living, because making knives isn't going to be a good career choice unless he makes it big. Most knifemakers have a second source of income or an understanding working wife. I do more leather work than knives by a large margin plus I'm retired.
Oh we are not looking to start a business. It's just a hobby. Personally I would like to make very nice presentable kitchen and belt knives to give as gifts to my family. That is my goal. My oldest son is 25 already does blacksmithing as a hobby, we have a forge, it is a Farriers forge, not ideal for knife making, but it has worked for the last few years. Both my older boys grind out knives with sanders in the shop using extension cords, but i put in 220 outlets to get a variable speed grinder with more mojo. I want to get involved now that my shop has power and well, i have a lot more purchasing power than they do.

I do not want to spend 3500 on one of Wuertz's machines. For a grinder with a VFW i was thinking around $1500 for a new unit, but i thought someone may have a gently used unit they can part with.

Are the OBM units good for what i want to do or would you say a KMG is the baseline?

D
Old 02-13-2019, 07:49 AM
Steel Addict

Hi Derek, you might want to make plans in April to attend the North Carolina Custom Knifemakers Guild meeting at Montgomery Community College on the 20th. There will be a lot of makers there to connect with. Check out our website for more information and directions.

Proud member of PETA....People Eating Tasty Animals
There is a place for all of God's creatures...right next to the mashed potatoes and gravy!

Last edited by BarryC; 02-13-2019 at 07:52 AM.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:59 PM

Derek, I just cleaned out an estate of a knife makers shop. I basically have two shops worth of equipment now and I'm trying to sell just about everything I got. That includes 3 knife grinders and a 22" heat treat oven. I am active in the guild and I'm bringing as much as I can pack in my truck to offer it to the members and attendees during the April meeting.

Tags
a, bee, blacksmithing, blades, ca, custom, education, for sale, forge, forging, grinder, grinding, knife, knife making, knifemaking, knives, leather, make, making, press, sale, shop, teach, tools