MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 04-14-2007, 02:45 PM
Steel Addict

Any Randalls That You Just Don't Like?

Let's see if we can get some activity going. Are there any Randalls that you wouldn't buy for whatever reason? The only Bowie that I like is the Little Bear version. The Sportsman Is plain ugly and the larger ones (IMHO) are uglier and plain useless, so I don't have any in my collection. I also can't seem to warm up to the Arkansas toothpicks or the Cattleman either. Let's hear it for the undesirables or uncollectibles, which ones won't get your $$.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:27 PM
Steel Addict

Well I have to admit that you have hit on something that I mull over from time to time! That's one thing I'm going to try to do at Blade this year, see & hold every type of RMK I can find! When I first started collecting I had several that I didn't care for, but last year at Blade taught me that a picture is just that a picture! Pictures are great if you have held that Model, but you can't judge a knife by it's picture.

As for the Cattleman I'm with you on that. Most RMK's that have a specific use will not seem like all that to someone who who doesn't see that as a need in their life. I'm not big on the Toothpicks either but I've never seen one let alone held one! But I like the big Steel yeah it's probably a testosterone thing but I really like'em. I don't care for a leather handle, but I like a knife with a heavy handle though.

Old 04-14-2007, 06:27 PM

Great idea for a thread Byrdguy!

This one may be more controversial than a "politically incorrect" thread I saw somewheres...

I have no wish to disturb the dragon, but I may not be able to prevent being flamed.

Yes folks, I confess, I have never liked the the Model #18 "Attack-Survival". I don't like sawteeth (except on a saw) and the hollow handle doesn't do anything for me.

There are other models I'm not all that crazy about, but I'll wait and see what you folks have to say.

Anyway, I just received word that "crutch tip" is on the way, so I'd best be one my way for now.

Cheers!

Moosehead

Old 04-14-2007, 07:25 PM
Steel Addict

Moose, I used to feel that way about the 18's, but now they are one of my favorites. Whodathunkit? You CAN get them sans saw teeth, but I can't remember seeing one.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:13 PM
Steel Addict

I have never understood the Jack Crider Special. I know it's intended as a "poor man's fighter", but...... Just my .02.

Cool thread....
Old 04-14-2007, 09:33 PM
Steel Addict

#12's bigger than 6"

All #13's (Toothpicks)

RKS #5224
Old 04-15-2007, 01:30 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Raindog
I think the only RMK that I couldn't warm up to was the Tailor's knife.

- Ronald Reagan
Old 04-15-2007, 10:20 PM
Enthusiast

Thumbs up Cool thread

Most of the ones with too much 'embellishment'...we've had a #1-7 with eight options, and a Combat Companion with seven...

On the other hand, our rear cover knife, a SS #12-9/14 with A/I handle has seven or eight, and is pretty darn sweet...
Old 04-16-2007, 08:38 PM
Skilled

Thanks for the thread Byrdguy! It's interesting to see what flips every one's switch. I may be in deep poo here already but it's perfectly OK for me to like what I like and for everyone else to like what they like. That's why they make 27 models, a bunch of dealer specials and a zillion variations I reckon. I have two Cattlemen and am in no hurry to relinquish either of them. I like the Sheep's foot blade! If I'm around to dole out my collection, the #18 - 7 1/2" will be one of the last to go and I DO like the saw tooth configuration even though I never even expect to BE in a chopper. There is just something really cool about it. I have no burning desire for the "big iron" as I can't even trick myself into believing I will ever use one of them. Tune, I used to lust after the Clinton special fighter but the lust has been lost. Thirteens would only be over-kill as letter openers for me and if I ever need a tough one, I have a few twos around which also are over-kill as letter openers. I do admire their sleek design but I have others to fill that gap. I do have a hankerin' for a nice carving set sometime down the road and still have the lust for a few others as yet uncaptured. The fun is to always have that one you want but can't find or afford. Moose, before you finish your collection, you need to get at least one stag handled knife with really crappy stag just to make you admire your others that much more

seuss
Old 04-16-2007, 08:56 PM
Steel Addict

Seuss,

Dude you nailed it, "It's interesting to see what flips every one's switch", well put!
It is nice to know ya'll better through your RMK likes & dislikes! Us new collectors will carry on your old obsessions, like Clinton Specials, consider the torch passed!

Old 04-16-2007, 09:03 PM
Steel Addict

I am of the same opinion as Mr. Mallory. Model 12 bigger than 6 inches and the Toothpicks are not big on my lists. I am lucky enough to have all 27 models in one or more variations. I can't for the life of me imagine what you would use a Toothpick for, especially a toothpick!!!!

As well I am not a fan of big blades. I think they are great for conversation pieces, but I don't intend on fighting a bear with only a knife.

Chief I think you have the right idea. Handle as many as you can, it sure gives you a better idea what the knife is like. Also the handle style makes a big difference in how a knife feels.

My .02

Old 04-16-2007, 09:49 PM
Steel Addict

Had a toothpick model in a 6" configuration, scalloped ferrule-SWEET! very romantic pig sticker I have to admit. Not a user but a beauty to collect.. I figoored the sticker needed sum support hear..

model I never really liked.. thats a loaded question as it is inevitable that one will step on another's
foot and their prized possession.. or creation... sounds like FUN!.. my vote for ugly goes to
the Bowles special skinner!! I'm quite a fan of the scrimshaw art, but the knife design hits me wrong...but hey! you asked! (nothing personal Rick.. )

Last edited by thewap; 04-16-2007 at 09:56 PM.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:31 AM
Enthusiast

If it has the Randall logo I like it. One of my favorites is an older 4-5 with the stamp upside down. I also favor the beautiful ironwood on just about anything Randall. Can't say I don't like any and I haven't had an opportunity to hold all the models. I do have a Bowles Skinner that worked a bison last year with ease. Of course the ivory and silver knives I enjoy looking at and putting back in the safe. To each his own,I admire them all. Wouldn't ever say I have seen one that I disliked,just a bunch that I don't own. Love to hear the stories. Investment wise a greater return than a savings account,I suppose that makes me nuts about great knives. It's a disease that I am encouraging. Take care, Tom #3081
Old 04-17-2007, 09:19 AM
Skilled

"Odd" Randalls

Byrdguy,
Great idea for a thread! It is getting hit a lot because of it. I have read all of the comments so far. I have waited to pipe up until I had a feel for the bottom. Here's my read on these models of Randall Made Knives that folks think they don't like.
I prefer the term "odd Randalls", rather than dislike. I'll give you a few examples to back this up. Byrdguy: You "only" like the Model #12-6", "Little Bear Bowie". O.K. Fine: "But", Have you ever seen a Model #12-6" "Sportsman's Bowie", with a stainless steel blade, nickel silver "double" hilt aluminum and black spacers, "dropped" tang, maroon "commando-shaped" handle, duralumin butt cap, wrist thong and a black sheath? Oh man: If you have not, you have no idea how cool that model can look. It is a rather "odd", century old looking design, when ordered in it's "catalog" appearance, but comes to life with some imagination. I have Mike Wilson, a former Randall shop employee, for turning my opinion around on this incredible model. "NOW"?? It is my absolute favorite way to trick-out a "Bowie"... Go figure.
As far as not liking the "big boys" goes. Walk into the palmettos with a wounded boar hog that you have shot with a bow! It's a very re-assuring feeling to hack through all of that crap with a "Confederate". knowing that if and when that S-O-B charges you, you have something in your hands besides your idiot sticks. I have slit one open on 2 occasions. I won't bow hunt without one. A Model #12-9", with a "C" styled sheath, is the minimum, in my opinion, for this exciting task. Exciting can be a term not unlike "having a laundry problem" during this "task". Again: An "odd" use perhaps, but one of my favorite Randalls for the above-mentioned duty.
I have never warmed up to the Model #9 and do not order any of them anymore, as they are not very collectable (unless real old) and are not requested often. They are quite good at their intended task and, although that task is a bit of an "odd" hobby, it is a part a knife-related chores and therefore deserves a spot in the Randall line-up.
It took me 10 years of ordering them to warm up to the Model #11's and #19's. I love them both now. I have a batch of 11's in all 4 blade lengths in my collection. One of my favorites, once again. The Model #19-5", ordered in stainless with a double hilt and "fighter-style" hardware makes a super fighter. Heavy-duty and a bit shorter than a Model #15 or a Model #1-6", this bad boy will serve you well! Again..."odd" duty and not in the mainstream..but a cool model!
O.K. Ya'll get the idea. I guess that the Model #9 is my least favorite, but not because I dislike it: Just because it is so limited, and I have stopped "sticking" knives, screw####### or anything else I could get my hands on, when I was about 12! (I wasn't bad at it, though).Hmmmm: Maybe I should start again. Another good reason to order a Randall!!
Alright: I'm done...Except to defend the "Bowles" special. Just find yourself with the need to get to the bottom of the peanut butter or mayonaise jar..Huh! Got ya' there, don't I?
Keep it up. Best, Captain Chris Stanaback

Old 04-17-2007, 09:24 AM

I never met a Randall I didn't like, but there are a few I'm not in love with:

1. Big Bowies

2. Any Toothpick

3. Criders

4. Throwers

5. A 3" Model 10

6. 17's

Happily the "love" list is much bigger

Ron

Tags