MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 10-26-2003, 07:38 AM
Steel Addict

forge temps, OUTSIDE

Just fired up a newly constructed Don Fogg-style forge today. Temp inside was killer. Got insanely hot in a few minutes on 1-2 lbs. of propane. But it also got pretty darn hot on the outside. Just wondering what typical temps. are for forge shells at heat. Thanks,

John

Old 10-26-2003, 07:42 AM
Living Legend

"pretty darn hot on the outside"

Sounds about right. My forge gets hot enough that the metal cannot be touched. You could probably use it to temper blades.

Tumbling down the road at 35 MPH is no fun, TRUST ME!
Old 10-26-2003, 12:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to J.Arthur Loose Send a message via Yahoo to J.Arthur Loose
I've got a 10" outer diameter shell with 1" kaowool & satanite in the D.Fogg upright forced air style. The shell is 1/4" thick and gets too hot to touch after a while. It's hot enough that when shutting down I turn off the gas and let the blower run until it's cool because I'm afraid the heat will transfer up to the blower and burni it out.

It's so hot that I thought it would make a great coffee cup heater. I just set my coffee cup on top and viola! No more cold coffee! Then my coffee cup exploded. 8o

jloose.com

Old 10-26-2003, 02:18 PM
Steel Addict

thanks and....

Jonathan,

Why not just pull your burner out? Do you have it permanently attached to the forge? If so, how do you light it, from the inside?

Thanks,

John

Old 10-26-2003, 02:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to J.Arthur Loose Send a message via Yahoo to J.Arthur Loose
My blower is attached with a threaded rod 1" above the burner port. The blower has a tube attached to the top of the horizontal part of the pipe so it is suspended and held in place. I could in fact, undo the nut that holds the blower in place and bang it out of place & let it hang down to avoid the heat transfer prob., but it's simply easier to leave the blower running for a hour than to constantly tighten / untighten the blower.

To light it I simply turn on the blower and toss a wad of burning newspaper inside... then hit the gas. No explosions in three years of service...

jloose.com

Old 10-26-2003, 08:03 PM

forge

John,
As long as your shell is not glowing red and looking like it's ready for a melt down you forge will be just fine. Pay attention to the air and gas tube. Should only be warm to the touch about 10" to 12" from the forge. Give me a call when you get a chance.

Michael

Tags
forge