MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 02-25-2003, 11:08 AM
Enthusiast

Cool Friction Folder

I am planning to make my first folder and was thinking of a simple knife like a friction folder. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 02-25-2003, 11:29 PM
Guru

Welcome to the CKD Nathan. First, go to the Outpost below and do a search on friction folders.Look at Gene Chapman's site.He has a couple of great books on the subject.Plus many of the guys there make some great folders.I have several in the display and in the for sale forums to use for ideas.
The hardest thing I have found about making one is locating a good piece of antler to use. You know, the right bend, the right thickness and curve. I usually find the antler first and make the blade to fit.The slot in the antler is cut out with a small saw or using a Dremel with an abrasive wheel.You can practice on a wooden dowel before cutting up your antler piece.Makes your cuts slowly and check how your blade fits often.Once satisfied your pivot pin hole can be drilled and the blade pinned. I use a small 2 oz ballpien for peening and work in a circle checking blade movement often.You should end up with a nice round headed pin and the blade should be snug but move freely.One thing I do on mine is use a Bronze bushing on my pivot pin, but it is not necessary, except for me.Alot of mine get used daily and I have carried one for about 8 years.Have had to snug the pivot up a few times but other than that its been great.I know this is a short explanation but hopefully will get you in the right direction.Good luck and show us your results.Dave

Tags
blade, knife, knives